Target recover techniques: what am I doing wrong?

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near the beach in Delaware, and have been detecting dry sand beaches, to the water, and ankle-deep, for many years. I am not a young guy (65), but I am decent shape, and would like to start hunting in a little farther out: knee to waist deep. Tried it a few times this past week, and I am having a very difficult time putting that 5" round, long-handle stainless scoop over the target. I have worked 15 minutes trying to recover a good-sounding target, only to give it up. This has happened to me 3 times now.

Can any of you experienced surf hunters help me? Maybe I need a wider, oval-shaped scoop? How do you hang on to your detector while using both hands to lift the sand-filled scoop? How do you get it back on target, if you don't recover anything the first, or second or 10th time?

Gettin' frustrated.

CZ-20
Sea Hunter II

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
[/quote]

Bill, were you hunting at Rehoboth? I've been there 3 times in the past week, and twice over to Lewes, which of course, has no waves, but the water is murky, and the targets are few. When ya goin back, Bill?

Max, I really like that Pro/Scoop, and want to order one, but I tried to but the square shank wood handle today, and couldn't fine one. As someone said, maybe a farm supply store.
[/quote]

I understand the Square shank wood handle from a post hole digger works. However, on mine, I just got a 2"x2" piece of ironwood "Ipe", smoothed out the edges and taped a foam float to the top (after I put a wood dowel through the foam to keep it in place), so it will float upright. The Ipe does not float at all, quite strong, but the float at the top does make the scoop stand up in the water. HH, Ralph

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldebeechnut, I thought of one of those screw types too a long time back. I also tinkered with a hand driven suction dredge with the intake nozzle on the coil and the crank on your chest.... :laughing7: Then I realized this would be work to make and work to use. Since I detect for relaxation I gave it up. I used to use a 2" suction dredge to clean freshwater beaches and the over burden was to great and the catch basket filled up to fast with small rocks, clams, etc and not many rings to make it worth while. Also a Overkill Overkill idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread