Can someone plez recommend a md for the beach for beginners?

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you don't need the thousand dollar detectors most of us use, but if you want to hunt wet sand you'll need them. For the dry sand any land detectors will do. Just not in the wet sand. Don't disc out pull tabs or you won't get many gold rings.

Your going to need some kind of a sand scoop. For the dry sand a screen type sifter scoop is great because sand pours through the screen easy. A nail apron with two pockets, one for trash and the other for good stuff. Aside from that sun screen and sunglasses.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to have a thousand dollar detector but if you can afford one it will save you a lot of frustration. I started out with a cheap detector and slowly upgraded from one detector to another before finally realizing that if I were going to find the good stuff then I was going to have to just break down and invest some money. I spent alot of hours wasting my time on the beach with cheap detectors that I wish I could go back and do again with my Excal. Just remember one good find can pay for itself. If you can't afford to invest that much right now then try ebay, people are always buying detectors and after finding that this hobby isn't for them reselling them on there. Hope this helps. Welcome to the hobby and good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can keep your eye open for a good used water detector here......First decide what kind you want, a PI or VLF, a PI is going to require you to dig every single piece of trash on the beach as it has no descrimination.....Then decide what your max budget is.

You can find some really good water detectors in the $500-$800 range sold from time to time on the classifieds board here, and remember the money is not gone, it is still there in your detector and you will get most of it back when you decide to sell it.......A good scoop for the wet sand or water is going to run you $150-$200, a cheap scoop will just break on you so don't waste your money on a cheap scoop, buy a good one to begin with....

onemanwolfpack

Aug 5, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure a more expensive detector will find more items and be able to differentiate between trash and treasure better but I just bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver from off Amazon and I'm having fun with it. I figure if I stick with it and keep finding valuable things I can justify (and convince my wife) spending over $500 for a better model. Amazon had one with a pinpointer for just over $100.00. Happy Hunting!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onemanwolfpack said:
I'm sure a more expensive detector will find more items and be able to differentiate between trash and treasure better but I just bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver from off Amazon and I'm having fun with it. I figure if I stick with it and keep finding valuable things I can justify (and convince my wife) spending over $500 for a better model. Amazon had one with a pinpointer for just over $100.00. Happy Hunting!

I'm sure you will enjoy your Bounty Hunter and have more fun with it than most out there that have taken this hobby and have made it into an obsession (me included... :laughing9:).

I stopped going awhile ago so much when I realized how much gas went up, parking went up (like $2.75 per hour at Clearwater now), and most that would normally lose gold have cashed it in now. I'm not trying to discourage anyone...

I've seen people with cheaper older machines do better than some of us with our $1200 machines. It's the experience of the hunter and knowing ones machine that counts. And more importantly one has to go out there and have fun, not make a business out of it....

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
try and find a minelab sovereign with a 180 meter. you have a machine that is easy to use. wet sand or dry and also one of the best all around detectors ever made. price range $350-$450 or look for a used minelab quattro. they have been replaced by the safari because they had slow recovery speed but it is an awesome machine for beach or land,good target info and easy to use. i've seen these go as cheap as $350.basically any of minelabs multi-frequency machines will be your best bet,they handle both wet and dry sand with ease......good luck....hh...jb

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I'd recommend the Minelab x-terra 305 (or 705 if more serious and can afford it). I found it an excellent first beach detector. Easy to use, deep finds found, and...very light, which may suit a lady better. :thumbsup:

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have not used one myself,but the garrett AT-pro is probably one of your better options..500-600 $-new,waterproof to 10 feet,built in meter-very helpful to a beginner,i dont know how much of a learning curve they have but i imagine its not too complicated.... if you are serious about water hunting you can pick up a good used scoop in the 100-150 $ range... just understand that there is a lot of garbage out on those beaches and it takes time and experience till your finds improve....best of luck....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
I am just starting out and would like to know if someone can recommend a md that is made especially for the beach for someone just starting out and what other tools or supplies do I need to beach hunt??

I wrote tis article just for you Diva! "Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started" go here
http://www.terrysoloman.com/id18.html and scroll down to it! Hope it helps you!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
I am just starting out and would like to know if someone can recommend a md that is made especially for the beach for someone just starting out and what other tools or supplies do I need to beach hunt??
Research, research, research.
These same questions have been asked 7,852 times. RESEARCH.

Signed: Not politically correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread