Excalibur II upgrade question!

Madmans Legend

Feb 24, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Surfmaster II, Whites TM808, Whites Amphibian 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Garrett Infinium LS, Minelab Exterra 705, Minelab CTX 3030
Has anyone tried to put on the Intruder S-12 coil or the Sovereign WOT coil on their Excalibur II model, and if you have did you notice any performance improvement from the stock 10'' coil? Correct me if Im wrong but as I understand the Excalibur II has a slightly different and newer circuit and components than the older models.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the S-12 on an Excal 1000 I put on and currently have a WOT on one of my Excals and the SEF 12"15" Butterfly on my other Excal......The mod would basically be the same wiring wise.....S-12 was good on the Excal, but I wanted to put my 12x15 SEF Butterfly coil on it so I took the S-12 off......I am still sitting on it, would consider selling it.

You do not want to do it if your Excal II is still under warranty as it will void the warranty......

Don't know how cood you are at mod work, it isn't hard, but again it isn't easy either....Easier to splice the cable than go into the controls, but it is a cleaner mod when it is in the controls.......

Member Davespen here has done a lot of them, he does great work, he put the 12x15 SEF Butterfly on mine into the controlbox, did a fantastic job, the man is really good at it..........You might send him an IM.....You can see one of his posts in the "treasure related for sale form" in the classifieds....

OP
OP
M

Madmans Legend

Feb 24, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Surfmaster II, Whites TM808, Whites Amphibian 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Garrett Infinium LS, Minelab Exterra 705, Minelab CTX 3030
Treasure_Hunter said:
I have used the S-12 on an Excal 1000 I put on and currently have a WOT on one of my Excals and the SEF 12"15" Butterfly on my other Excal......The mod would basically be the same wiring wise.....S-12 was good on the Excal, but I wanted to put my 12x15 SEF Butterfly coil on it so I took the S-12 off......I am still sitting on it, would consider selling it.

You do not want to do it if your Excal II is still under warranty as it will void the warranty......

Don't know how cood you are at mod work, it isn't hard, but again it isn't easy either....Easier to splice the cable than go into the controls, but it is a cleaner mod when it is in the controls.......

Member Davespen here has done a lot of them, he does great work, he put the 12x15 SEF Butterfly on mine into the controlbox, did a fantastic job, the man is really good at it..........You might send him an IM.....You can see one of his posts in the "treasure related for sale form" in the classifieds....

My Excal II warranty just expired and I am fairly good with modding devices as my background is in electronics engineering. My concern is that if I fork out a few hundred dollars for the coils I have to make sure that they are compatible with the Excalibur II (green label ) model. Im really hestient on opening up the housing if I dont have to. Thats why I plan on installing an external waterproof connector of my design so I could easily change out the coil when conditions warrant it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Madmans Legend said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

My Excal II warranty just expired and I am fairly good with modding devices as my background is in electronics engineering. My concern is that if I fork out a few hundred dollars for the coils I have to make sure that they are compatible with the Excalibur II (green label ) model. Im really hestient on opening up the housing if I dont have to. Thats why I plan on installing an external waterproof connector of my design so I could easily change out the coil when conditions warrant it.

I installed a waterproof connector on my WOT, but did a hard wire splice on the S-12, it was a lot easier to work with and I prefered it over the waterproof connector.. The S-12 has 2 ground wires that are not insulated and they are a pain to work with......If your not going into the housing and just spliceing the cables it is not a problem and they are compatible.... If you do a search for S-12 mod you can find pictures, I am not at home at the moment or I would post them for you, I will post link to them tonight.....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Correct me if Im wrong but as I understand the Excalibur II has a slightly different and newer circuit and components than the older models.

Both the same wiring and mainboard unless you go way back. Has not changed internally...

Chart done by davespen..great work

Attachments

• Davespen chart].jpg
    Davespen chart].jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 687

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I was going to post, Dave does good work, as do you Beech... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
M

Madmans Legend

Feb 24, 2010
Detector(s) used
I appreciat your input guys and thanks for the coil wire pinout, this should shave some time out of the coil mod. :icon_thumright:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Question, what are you looking for in the Bigger coil..more coverage? Depth? And where are you hunting, location........or close to where.

After getting in 8 good days of hard hunting with the Bulgin mini connectors, full submeriged at times, I am thinking along the lines of Treasure Hunter...Best if you check out some of his past post on the way he does his coil connections, I had issues with one of my detectors, on two things due to saltwater. They were not fatal but gave a some problems with falsing... it's almost like the signal was leaking out of the connector, if I touched it or bumped it, it would give me a false..two other detectors did fine........the other issue was the IP68 remote rocker switch must have leaked and the excalibur got stuck in discriminate..

And Thanks TH, I'm still learning, and watching the one's that have been there, and done that...like you..Treasure Hunter, many thanks for all the great post :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Question, what are you looking for in the Bigger coil..more coverage? Depth? And where are you hunting, location........or close to where.

After getting in 8 good days of hard hunting with the Bulgin mini connectors, full submeriged at times, I am thinking along the lines of Treasure Hunter...Best if you check out some of his past post on the way he does his coil connections, I had issues with one of my detectors, on two things due to saltwater. They were not fatal but gave a some problems with falsing... it's almost like the signal was leaking out of the connector, if I touched it or bumped it, it would give me a false..two other detectors did fine........the other issue was the IP68 remote rocker switch must have leaked and the excalibur got stuck in discriminate..

And Thanks TH, I'm still learning, and watching the one's that have been there, and done that...like you..Treasure Hunter, many thanks for all the great post :icon_thumright:

Beech I appreciate the complement but I am still very much a student when compared to you and many, many others here .............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread