s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep reading about faint signals. I think I might be missing something. I have an excal2 but just am not finding what I think I should be finding. I know that sometimes I get signals and dig and dig and find nothing. DOing something wrong? WHat setting do you guys use when you are actually at the beach? In the water?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s.c.shooter said:
I keep reading about faint signals. I think I might be missing something. I have an excal2 but just am not finding what I think I should be finding. I know that sometimes I get signals and dig and dig and find nothing. DOing something wrong? WHat setting do you guys use when you are actually at the beach? In the water?
I use the Excal and the faint signals should be repeatable with a Pull tab tone. The high tones are coins of higher conductive targets. Don't run disc to high and sometimes you just need to run it in Auto mode.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use no descrimination, I adjust sensitivity till the unit is stable then make it just a tad hotter, volume is maxed out........A repeatable signal is a signal from 2 different directions that does not have a null.....With a null you may only get a signal from one direction.....

Those lost signals could easily be tiny pieces of aluminum trash that wash through your scoop, then float away in the current once they are released while digging...

Do you tune your excal before you hunt? Try this sometime...

Take a gold ring and tie a piece of string to it and bury it in the wet sand about 10-12 inches deep. ( for 10 inch coil) I dont know what coil your using, the larger the coil the deeper you try bury the ring..... Now try adjusting your settings till you can pick up the faint signal of the gold ring.....Don't just adjust the sensitivity, but adjust all the settings except the descrimination, basically tune in the gold ring....If you can't hear it at all, then raise the depth of the ring slightly and tune again till you can hear it.........

OP
OP
s.c.shooter

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Faint allmetal/PP signals with the excalibur

Faint signals with the excalibur in Discrimating mode can be just a small jump/change in the threshold. at 1:09 in the video I switch to discriminate, and you can hear the threshold jump up. This video, I hunt in AM/PP and switch to discriminate to check signals , if I get no signal in disc, I clear away sand to get a better signal........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread