Curious how many of you have used SCUBA gear to detect

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I use a hooka in fresh water with the excal and always dive alone.some one will usally be at the lake or creek with me.But I always dive alone.Visabilty is the reason I choose to dive alone.When you cant see a foot in front of your dive mask it is safer to only have to look after yourself.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went one time towards the end of summer last season, alone, just beyond where you can do wading, mainly to try out some new gear. Thought it was gonna be really good,...... after a bunch of nothing, i was happy to just find a quarter.
Keep talkin about going to a very active campground swimmin hole. This spot would be with a tender.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an experienced diver but sometimes used to dive alone with scuba and with hookah. It was either dive alone or sit on the couch. Even with hookah I carried a Spare Air or Pony bottle and two dive knives for cutting fishing line.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used scuba for detecting several times. I can tell you it isn't an easy task, but it is adventurous and fun.

I mostly detect "alone" underwater because if a buddy is near there is the interference factor of the detectors. Those that don't know, can you believe it is very noisy underwater? When I dive and detect, there is somebody at least near me. If I were to do this at the beach I don't believe there should be a problem there for me to detect alone.

Should someone dive alone of course the answer is no. Last year one of my dive buddies, who is also my partner is a dive shop that we own and a dive instructor with over 25 years of dive experience, almost didn't make it out alive for breaking that rule. He went down to recover a dive belt that was dropped by another person on another day from a pier. He was there with a few other guys but he was the only one with dive equipment. He went down about 35 feet, placed his arm under a metal structure to retrieve the weight belt, and the structure fell on him. His mask came off and the regulator fell out of his mouth. He reached for the octo, placed it in his mouth, and then had to feel around with his hand until he found his mask (this was in saltwater). It took him another 15 or 20 minutes to get the structure off of him. Nobody could help him because the visibility was bad and they didn't know anything was wrong. The fact is even if they did, how would they have got down to him.

Everybody has to know their limit.

I'm sure there are many out there that would go diving and hunting with you. I know when I mention it to friends when I am back in Florida they all seem to want to go.

So yes, it is fun and recommended.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I Hookah dive freshwater,always have someone with me,you never know,and I don't want to be a Statistic!Got some cool finds too!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions