whitch is deeper

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
lookindown said:
Detector Wars said:
But you only need to try it out for a day, you should find a store which will let you rent it or both detectors for a day.

Unlikely that you will be able to, so I guess you will have to rely on others' info. You will eventually get a PI, because that's the only way you'll know.

One thing that needs to be said regarding this debate;

If you're buying a water unit, you will want to use it in the water often, otherwise why buy a water unit? If you're using it in the water, you don't have to deal with as much junk. Sure, you will also want to use it out of the water, and in areas with lots of junk, vlf's are good for that (you mentioned you are ready to upgrade, so I'm assuming you already have an excal).

If you're going to spend most of your time out of water and wade occasionally, ask yourself if it's really worth getting a water unit at all, let alone another one. If you're a true water detectorist, you won't need to worry about discrimination, only depth.

It also amazes me how many people consider weight as an issue. Those problems can always be and are, easy to solve.
So your not a true water detectorist if you discriminate? HaHaHa :tongue3:...I dont discriminate, but you took a shot at a lot of people who do.

I never said that >:( Read my post again.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Craig-PI, I have read your comments throughout this post, regarding PI's vs VLFs, as per the "nail issue". I too have heard pulse advocates say they can tell the difference between iron and conductors (even if "most of the time", etc...). Yet from what I see, those very persons will certainly avoid the iron-ridden beaches, whereas ........ guy with discriminators (excal's for instance) will stay there and hunt them without a problem.

Sometimes we get storm erosion here, that scours out around piers and such, where nails can be so thick, that they resemble tooth-picks lying all over the ground. And there are silver coins lying in the midst of that mess! And you look to see where the guy with the pulse machine is ...... and he's leaving the beach "for greener grounds". And it's the same pulse user who confidentally says he can tell the difference between nails and coins.

Oh sure, I don't doubt that straight nails give a double beep (verses coins or round rings that don't). But so too does a gold stick pin or earing stud probably give a double beep. And so too does a bent nail probably give a singular narrow beep.

Since I do mostly beach erosion hunting (after storms/swells/tides), those are often the times where "time is of the essence" and depth is not an issue (because mother nature leaves everything shallow). The only thing stopping you from digging non-stop targets, is the incoming tide that chases you out. NOT the lack of targets. So in conditions like this, it seems that ratios (of iron vs non-iron) start to become very important, when you're talking the small window of time to dig as many targets, fast as you can.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Craig-PI, I have read your comments throughout this post, regarding PI's vs VLFs, as per the "nail issue". I too have heard pulse advocates say they can tell the difference between iron and conductors (even if "most of the time", etc...). Yet from what I see, those very persons will certainly avoid the iron-ridden beaches, whereas ........ guy with discriminators (excal's for instance) will stay there and hunt them without a problem.

Sometimes we get storm erosion here, that scours out around piers and such, where nails can be so thick, that they resemble tooth-picks lying all over the ground. And there are silver coins lying in the midst of that mess! And you look to see where the guy with the pulse machine is ...... and he's leaving the beach "for greener grounds". And it's the same pulse user who confidentally says he can tell the difference between nails and coins.

Oh sure, I don't doubt that straight nails give a double beep (verses coins or round rings that don't). But so too does a gold stick pin or earing stud probably give a double beep. And so too does a bent nail probably give a singular narrow beep.

Since I do mostly beach erosion hunting (after storms/swells/tides), those are often the times where "time is of the essence" and depth is not an issue (because mother nature leaves everything shallow). The only thing stopping you from digging non-stop targets, is the incoming tide that chases you out. NOT the lack of targets. So in conditions like this, it seems that ratios (of iron vs non-iron) start to become very important, when you're talking the small window of time to dig as many targets, fast as you can.

Craig has said many times, he would not hunt NJ beaches with a PI, too much iron. your type of hunting requires the right tool for the right job. However most of us do not wait for storms to cherry pick. The last storm in my area was 5 years ago.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
When I find a beach that has been eroded at the bottom of the slope the first detector I hit it with is the GT, last year while my buds were hunting with their pulse machines I was swinging the GT and came up with 7 gold rings... I love my PI but I also know where its place is... if I feel a spot is clean enough I will run the pulse... these rocky area's close to shore usually have visual clumbs of iron conglomerates and therefore the PI stays home ;)

A hunter who is very good with his PI can tell by sound whether a target is round or long... we started with pulse machines, we didn't start with vlfs...

For us in Connecticut we don't get hundreds of people at our beaches its rare for me to see more than 50 people in the water at the beaches I hunt personally... my partners and myself are after older gold and not fresh drops because there just aren't that many items being dropped...

I know my beaches very well and I know where to hunt with my PI either wet sand or water and where I can't use it.. a good hunter will learn his beaches and that will help make him successful..

I also mainly hunt the wet sand and the water when the snow flies.. I have been to the beaches just a few times during the warmer months...

Tom_in_CA said:

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Whites has down sized the TDI and now its in an xlt size box. I owned a TDI and it DOES have DISC up to and including screwcaps. BUT it loses some depth in disc. so with a larger head like an 18in or what ever u could still have the depth needed for a pulse. As most of the minelab pulse heads will fit having about 15 size heads to pick from. I sold my TDI large box so I can buy a TDI sl machine (1249$) What a bargain with Fosters additions to it its a killer. Can get rid of iron on up to screwcaps wonderful for a pulse. Just needs to be waterproofed somehow.I loved mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread