What happened? I think I blew out my hips!!!

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
OK, I am not that old, I am 38 and went to Va beach a few days ago and md'd for about six hour straight. I had a hand scoop not one with a long handle so when I would dig I would bend down and use my foot to dig a digger hole. Well, I dont know if it was the bending down or using my foot on my scoop or walking on sand for six hours but the next day... my hips was screaming MERCY!!!! OMG, I have never in my entire life had that much pain in both hips!!!! I am in what I consider to be in good shape so... WHAT THE HECK DID I DO WRONG??????? Has anyone else had pain like this? I did have a sand shark so it was ALOT of bending down. So, was it the bending, walking on sand or using my food while bending on my handscoop???? ??? I am asking this question so I dont make the same mistake next time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tough to say really...

Giving all the bending over and such, I would have to say that your legs (quads/hams) would hurt more. I'm in great shape, and when I hunt for longer periods, that's where I ache. But a few aspirin solves that.

Maybe it was walking on the sand like you said. If it's a loose pack and you sink when you take each step, then I can see pulling something deep in the hips... especially after 6 hours. But like most things when it comes to working out, your body will tell you where you're weak.

I say to head back out and give it another whirl, but this time only stay for 3 hours. Pay attention to what you're doing and just use some common sense. If you're feeling something wrong, then go to a different technique if you can.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Sort of know what you mean.

I Told DK today I Had to give up after a bit over
4 hours of Ups & Downs.

Back was OK This time
but Hips gave up :tongue3:

Of course I'm almost 20 years older
at 56

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea ...... But with a water detector they are heavy plus a scoop............ could be to much weight.............

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to read about that problem, mmdd . I believe that this is due to all four components as you described in your post.

Six hours is a long time ( at any age) to be continually walking, bending, digging, and scooping.

I hope with rest and heat treatment , you will recover quickly and be out there again.

Lorraine

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sand shark 4.5 lbs scoop 1.5 or 2 lbs ..........It don't sound like much weight but at 4-5 or 6 hours it is a lot of weight......to be hauling around with the bending and stooping.........

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a long handled scoop saves wear and tear on back, hips,wrists,.. lets face it 6 hours in the lane is a workout no matter how you do it .....especially if your body isnt used to it..... im not a doctor,but it could be bursitis... good news is if it is ice and anti inflamatory--advil--usually take care of it in about 2 days.... if it is bursitis heat will agravate it even more...... pace yourself ..i know i know you only have a few days at the beach and the time goes so fast..... i over did it when i was there earlier this summer and spent the last full day of vacations in bed with high fever ,cramps,headache, etc ect... the worst part about it is that day my wife said only one person was working the water during low tide..oh well-live ya learn...hope you feel better.....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am sure you just used ligaments and tendons that arent used much, and it will calm down in a couple days. Like they said, start out with 1/2 the time, and work your way up. And maybe get a long handled scoop. Get in a hot tub and soothe those weary joints! Good luck next time.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with steve, Amazing what a different workout can do for you, and really 6 hours is a long hunt...most of mine are 4 hour shifts..Think we seen you in Max's video's...I would say you are in excellent shape...

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took one beach hunt with a handheld scoop to make me realize I needed to get one with a long handle. I only hunt dry sand so I got a stainless steel pull-to-me sifter type and its a lifesaver.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bending will get you. Even guys in the military hate running in the sand. Stuff moves the wrong direction. I recommend Advil and a long handled scoop. Nice swimsuit.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodmore said:
That bending will get you. Even guys in the military hate running in the sand. Stuff moves the wrong direction. I recommend Advil and a long handled scoop. Nice swimsuit.

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: Got me as I headed back looking for the swim suit. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: Like someone said nice hot bath and a long handle scoop.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a combination of all, even if you do consider yourself in good shape, you use muscles detecting that you do not use day to day.......A long handle scoop saves your body a lot of bending, there is a reason most of us who have been detecting for a long time use a good long handle scoop and that is why we tell people to spend the money for a good scoop....

One of the hardest excercises you can do is walking in sand, so walking for 6 hours is a lot... I don't know how you hunt, but if I am not in the water I am usually walking in a "W" formation or if hunting hotels I am pattern hunting which is walking a "U" every 6 feet in front of a hotel, a mile walk down the beach ends up being 3 to 5 miles walking the patterns.......This hobby involves a lot of excercise......Ibuprofin is also a part of our tools.. ;D

Welcome to beach hunting....................

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I would say it's 6 hours of using muscles you don't normally use in those way's that got you.
That's a lot of walking around in the soft sand, which is hard on the joint's to start with.

Time for some Ibuprofen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread