Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry I haven't been posting lately. While I've been getting out on occasion, there's not really much to see... and I'm not going to post any pictures of a measly 1500 yen and a silver ring. I got to wait for something better.... meaning.... anything over 2,500 yen and some meaningful jewelry.

So now that my 14 year old son is here in Okinawa with me, he's picking up the detecting bug after seeing my treasure box :icon_pirat: While I'm not a big player in this water hunting game, there's plenty to be found in these parts if you know where to look. So tonight I took my son and a friend to the honey hole for a few hours of hunting.

Arriving on site a little after midnight, we were about 1.5 hours early for the low tide. That worked out well since this is the first trip to this beach since typhoon Muifa came through recently, and I wanted some time to hunt in the shallows before hitting some deeper water.

Immediately the yen were jumping in the pouch. 10 yen, 100 yen, 500 yen..... all were coming from their watery depths with little coaxing. It was nice to see that the typhoon moved some sand around and now these older coins were ready to be found.

Before I could find my first ring for the night, I scoop a decent sounding target which I expected to be another 100 yen. But as I was pulling the rocks out of the scoop, I see this chunk of "trash" mixed in with the coral pieces and rocks.

As I pull it out of the scoop, I see that it wasn't trash at all.... but a nice fat silver bracelet! Wow... didn't see that coming. That's a first for me here in Okinawa, and only my second one ever found. Sweet :D

By 3am, my elbow is killing me from all the swinging. I manage to get everyone out of the water by 3:30 and we head home to count the booty :icon_pirat:

So here's the take:

5,621 yen --- $73
silver ring
silver bracelet (total silver weight of 35 grams)
1 junker ring
1 junker pendant

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

My son managed about 350 yen, but I'm trying to teach him the ropes on detecting. Unfortunately, as we all know, it takes practice and patience. He's getting better, but at least he's not getting frusterated yet. He's catching on.

Thanks for stoping by and taking a look. I'm hoping to have some more finds sometime this week. If I find something good, my friends here will be the first to know. :wink:

Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good hunt! :headbang:

I like the silver bracelet and ring finds! :hello2:

Lorraine

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Nice hunt Bobbypins! Congrats on that honker of a silver bracelet!

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread