Whats an "auto syphon"?...and other finds;14K GP chain, 1947"Roosie", and clads

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's an "auto syphon"?...and other finds;14K GP chain, 1947"Roosie", and clads

Hi, :hello:

Hunted wet sand slope this morning; had been thinking about why I hadn't found any chains or earrings lately ???

Well, today I recovered a 22" chain ..not deep; about 6".

It did not look like anything to write home about..and it wasn't :laughing7:

But I like to clean my jewelry finds, so I did the best I could on this one.

A silver "Roosie" saved the day :hello2:

Also dug up a "mystery" object....not sure of the meaning of "auto"; could mean car :dontknow:

could be shorthand for "automatic" :dontknow: so if anyone can offer any ID'ing..it would be much appreciated :icon_sunny:

Here's some pics

Thank you for looking

Lorraine

Attachments

• DSCF0926.JPG
    DSCF0926.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCF0927.JPG
    DSCF0927.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCF0928.JPG
    DSCF0928.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCF0929.JPG
    DSCF0929.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCF0935.JPG
    DSCF0935.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Re: What's an "auto syphon"?...and other finds;14K GP chain, 1947"Roosie", and clads

Hey Lorraine, As usual you had a great hunt I see. Nice going. I appreciate your posts. Lots of interesting stuff...... About the "Auto Syphon", I have a modern day "Auto Syphon". Mine is a brass cylinder with a steel ball trapped in it. You put the syphon on the end of a hose and lower it into a tank of liquid. You quickly raise and lower the hose with the syphon on the end and the liquid travels up the hose as the liquid is trapped by the steel ball. This happens until the liquid comes to the peak of the hose and then starts down and creates a suction on the liquid in the tank creating a syphon without sucking on the end of the hose with your mouth. Looks like yours may be an early version of the same principal. I haven't had anything to post lately. It is pretty sanded in around here. HH, Ralph

OP
OP
Lorrain.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's an "auto syphon"?...and other finds;14K GP chain, 1947"Roosie", and clads

Thank you for the explanation , Petersra...much appreciated.

Never saw something like this..and I don't think I ever had use for one.

We had quite a bit of rain here...torrents in some areas; the beach that I hunted today was stripped of sand down to underlying rocks and concrete blocks that I usually see only in the winter time.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Lorraine

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Nice finds Lorraine! The auto syphon is a neat find. Sounds like the conditions are right at your beach for some heavy metal finds. Get back and pound it some more!

Jim

OP
OP
Lorrain.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

time4me said:
Nice finds Lorraine! The auto syphon is a neat find. Sounds like the conditions are right at your beach for some heavy metal finds. Get back and pound it some more!

Jim

That's a good idea, Jim...and it's not so hot out there after the recent storms so it makes for truly pleasant detecting

Lorraine

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wish I had an Auto Syphon when I was a kid...I once swallowed a mouthful of gas while syphoning from a dump truck to get gas to mow lawns, and it was old and extremely disgusting, and just thinking of it gives me the shudders. HH Niffler BTW nice finds!

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away

I am always envious of your hunting grounds.
You find such an array of items from the early 1900's
to the present, and consistently.
Good for you. :icon_thumleft:

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool finds !!! what part of the country do you hunt ?

OP
OP
Lorrain.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crackerjohn said:
cool finds !!! what part of the country do you hunt ?
[/quote

:hello:

I hunt along the CT. shoreline

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread