tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I even want to ask. But for those of you who have used ARA or Mid-Western refineries. When they cash you out do they also provide an IRS 1099?

My plan was to save all the gold I've been finding and hopefully when my contract here is up I would have enough to buy a Rolex. But in my heart I know that this is just an impracticle waste of money. I find it hard paying more than $50.00 for a pair of "good" shoes.

Now I have an opportunity to buy a motorcycle which I feel is more practicle. I haven't weighed last years booty but I think with just that the bike would be free.

My concern is that when I cash in the booty Uncle Sam is gonna come and drastically affect my profit margin.

What's the guidance from the experts?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if the IRS wants a cut of your hobby, you have deductions in the way of transportation, food, lodging, equipement and the rest of it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the moment you start getting taxed on your finds, you have to start claiming the expenses to keep it fair.

Personally, I never cash in anything so I never have an income to report. :icon_pirat:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason in Enid said:
Yep, the moment you start getting taxed on your finds, you have to start claiming the expenses to keep it fair.

Personally, I never cash in anything so I never have an income to report. :icon_pirat:
Jason,you see it coming too?Always liked barter!

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my impression that as long as you don't pool the gold melt its not taxed and as long as it is jewelry! Coins get taxed, as of Jan. anything of value $600.00 or more dealers are required to report it! However I have been wrong once and a while so look into it to make sure!! :dontknow:

Snt

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got about $950+ from ARA back in December. No 1099 form.

You might call ARA directly and ask if there's a point where they do (I think not). They are just buying gold from us....there is no increase in value. The increase in value (in our finds pouch) was when we found the gold.

HH Joe

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfnturf said:
It's my impression that as long as you don't pool the gold melt its not taxed and as long as it is jewelry! Coins get taxed, as of Jan. anything of value $600.00 or more dealers are required to report it! However I have been wrong once and a while so look into it to make sure!! :dontknow:

Snt

Yes, that actually part of the Obama "health care" plan. All precious metal transfers over a certain amount get taxed.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week I took all my stuff to my local jewelry store when gold hit $1,816.00. I walked away with with $2,800.00 in CASH. My Uncle doesn't know, I don't think he'll notice! You are holding the high ground, and there are a lot of folks who will cough up cash for what you have. Be smart! :thumbsup:

tnt-k9 said:
Not sure if I even want to ask. But for those of you who have used ARA or Mid-Western refineries. When they cash you out do they also provide an IRS 1099?

My plan was to save all the gold I've been finding and hopefully when my contract here is up I would have enough to buy a Rolex. But in my heart I know that this is just an impracticle waste of money. I find it hard paying more than $50.00 for a pair of "good" shoes.

Now I have an opportunity to buy a motorcycle which I feel is more practicle. I haven't weighed last years booty but I think with just that the bike would be free.

My concern is that when I cash in the booty Uncle Sam is gonna come and drastically affect my profit margin.

What's the guidance from the experts?

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
One of the hunters from another site on Facebook said when he was audited by the IRS was asked repeatedly if he had any hobbies that he made money at. He is convinced that they looked his name up and saw what he posted as found. I am not so sure?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Buried Crap NJ said:
One of the hunters from another site on Facebook said when he was audited by the IRS was asked repeatedly if he had any hobbies that he made money at. He is convinced that they looked his name up and saw what he posted as found. I am not so sure?
Thievin lyin Bas@@@ds,don't know how [or won't] use their hands to make a livin,SOOOOO,take from those who do,WHAT"S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE????????????????????ahhh,only in Soviets States of America,land of the Slaves,home of the Cowards!!!!!!THEY don't scare me!!!Like a bunch of Cockroaches when EXPOSED to the LIGHT,they scatter!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried Crap NJ said:

If they had a shred of evidence, they would have slammed him with it and probably made up a lot more.

Glad I don't make any money at this hobby. Can I claim losses for an addiction?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
worldtalker said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
Thievin lyin Bas@@@ds,don't know how [or won't] use their hands to make a livin,SOOOOO,take from those who do,WHAT"S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE????????????????????ahhh,only in Soviets States of America,land of the Slaves,home of the Cowards!!!!!!THEY don't scare me!!!Like a bunch of Cockroaches when EXPOSED to the LIGHT,they scatter!!!

Yikes! Who in the heck are you talking about? The IRS? The auditor is not working? You sure don't make a lot of sense. Do you even know what "Soviet" means?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
DrJoePrime said:
worldtalker said:
Buried Crap NJ said:

Yikes! Who in the heck are you talking about? The IRS? The auditor is not working? You sure don't make a lot of sense. Do you even know what "Soviet" means?
Sorry DJP.........Had one of my moments!I wish people would wake up to the PsycoPolitical brainwashing that's being crammed down their throats and start THINKING for themselves instead of collectively.Oh,by the way.PsycoPolitical Brainwashing IS a Soviet Art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moderators? do ya think this might belong in the politics forum instead of beach and shallow water? :dontknow:

if you gave them your social security number when you took the cash or check then you might have a problem.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
davest said:
moderators? do ya think this might belong in the politics forum instead of beach and shallow water? :dontknow:

if you gave them your social security number when you took the cash or check then you might have a problem.
Say no more!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to find a gold ring, but since I haven't and have 2k plus invested, do they owe me???!!! ::)

geak

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Last week I took all my stuff to my local jewelry store when gold hit $1,816.00. I walked away with with $2,800.00 in CASH. My Uncle doesn't know, I don't think he'll notice! You are holding the high ground, and there are a lot of folks who will cough up cash for what you have. Be smart! :thumbsup:

Wouldn't selling your gold to a refiner like ARA rather than a jewelry store be more favorable? :dontknow:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
geak said:
Terry Soloman said:

Wouldn't selling your gold to a refiner like ARA rather than a jewelry store be more favorable? :dontknow:

Not in this case. I actually get a better deal locally, and it is a cash transaction with no paperwork to trace..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread