Garrett AT Pro Beach Hunting

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hi Everyone, I'm getting my new Garrett AT Pro detector tomorrow when I get home. I'll be taking it to the beach in Florida. In & out of the water. Any advice from any experienced AT Pro beach hunters??

I will make sure the seals are good & tight so no leaking. I won't go deeper than it's max 10'. Actually, I won't go deeper than my height (5'5). I will do the ground balancing, etc.. I watched all the garrett at pro videos from garrett & other people on youtube.

I'm excited to give it a shot at the beach. I'm a truck driver so I'll be taking it with me in the truck. And I will cover all sorts of terrain with it. That's why they call it the AT (all terrain). lol..

ttyl, happy hunting, Tropical Sue & my dog Kelly

Upvote 0

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Good luck with your machine! What coast are you hunting in Fl?

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I've read several posts about water leakage. I might try putting some silicone around the areas just as a backup.

I will hunt both coasts & some springs in my area too. :)

TS & Kelly

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net and may the gold god be good to you!

candig

Oct 8, 2007
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! I bought an AT Pro a few weeks ago and have used it on the east and west coasts. The first weekend I had it, was down in Key West. Make sure you have a good scoop because it will find some fairly deep targets. Also try to keep the headphones dry. Cocoa Beach had a lot of nickels that were about a foot deep. Happy Hunting!

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a long handle scoop and waterproof headphones. Get ready for a lot of sounds from this machine, but once you learn them and correspond with the meter readings you will like this machine.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
good luck w/ your new detector

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hi Everyone, I got the water proof headphones & I have two scoops. Both long handle & just short handle. I put up a couple videos on my youtube already. I'll have more videos up in the next few days. I'm getting into the water with it tomorrow. I'm so excited.

youtube.com/user/soozspenser

Thanks for the welcomes & all your helpful advice. :-)

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: I have an AT Pro and I beach hunt here in Florida. The secret is to "Ground Balance" your machine to whatever beach you are on and you will be ok. Good luck out there.

Tom

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
This is Tropical Sue also. I have a pc at home w/this accnt. And another accnt with my laptop while I'm on the road. I couldn't remember my pw while on the road, so I made Tropical Sue. Anyway, ...

I went to Ginnie Springs, FL yesterday to do some metal detecting. I called them first to see if it was ok to hunt there. They said Yes, but I cannot dig in the springs themselves. No scoop digging. But I could dig out in the river where people go tubing.

I put up 4 videos today on my youtube.com/user/soozspenser

You should of seen me with my setup, all my gear, etc.. I was quite a sight!! lol.. I had a backpack that is like a camel back, it holds water & has a drinking tube. I never am with out water in my travels. Next time I'll just bring a different back pack with water bottles. I had my water shoes, a water tight diving bag to hold my money, debit card, license, and car keys, and my glasses. I had my snorkel gear; prescription dive mask, fins, snorkel. I had my underwater video camera at first mounted to the detector rod, then it came loose, so I just held it. I had a fanny pouch to hold stuff & a yellow mesh small dive bag to hold my finds. And last but not least, my Garrett AT Pro metal detector with water proof headphones.

The terrain was pretty hard to deal with. lol.. I powered through it though. B/c that's just how I am!! lol.. I found only $1.19 in clad coins & I had to dig for them using my fins to move sand & my gloved hands to dig. It's a wonder I found anything at all!!?? lol.. I also did a lot of ground balancing. I needed to get experience with my machine. I put the coil in the water while holding the GB button & bobbed the coil up & down till I didn't hear any sound. I think I did pretty good. Being as it was my first real time out with my new machine.

The Garrett held up very well. I'm very pleased with it. I made sure all my connections were very tight, but not too tight to damage anything. I had a great time there. I turned a lot of heads as I was the only one with a metal detector. They have a nice deli there with GREAT food!! lol.. I had to have a lunch break between my two hunting sessions. I even hunted two of the four or so volleyball courts they have. I got permission to do so by a staff member that told me to go hunt there too. lol. I didn't find anything at the volleyball courts. I didn't try too hard.

I found LOTS of bottle caps & trash, which is to be expected. That is a party place. They also have scuba divers there, cave diving, a nice dive shop, etc.. ginniespringsoutdoors.com

The two places I hunted in the water were from the very top end, start of the tubing, down river to the Devil springs. I then got out, hunted the volleyball court, then walked the short way to my pickup truck. Then drove over to the deli for some much needed nourishment. Then hunted the water starting in Ginnie Springs there, close to the deli & main building. I ventured out into the river a tiny bit there, but was discouraged by the amount of water grass & grass debris all around. I already got caught pretty bad in water grass coming from the tubing start to the devil springs.

It was a little rough going & the terrain hard on the feet. Since I had fins, it was hard for me to stand, walk in the water at very shallow places. It is also very slippery in places. Water shoes are a must have for that area. Unless you are snorkeling & have your fins!!

Overall, it was fun work. And I got more experience with my Garrett AT Pro. The sounds & the numbers on the screen. People commented that I will find trash, & I told them that this machine eliminates most trash. And they were surprised!! I think I could of sold a few machines there if I had any to sell!! lol.. People took notes & I think Garrett will get a few more customers. lol..

Thanks for reading all this, and checking out my videos. I hope you all find really good stuff, and of course, have lots of fun. :)

Take care, and ttyl, Tropical Sue & my dog Kelly

Attachments

• ginniefindsAug2011 001.JPG
    ginniefindsAug2011 001.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 608

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
candig said:
How bout that, you were in my neck of the woods while I was at venice beach!

Hi, have you ever tried hunting at ginnie springs?? And, did you do some hunting at venice beach? I hope you found some good stuff, if so.

TS & Kelly

candig

Oct 8, 2007
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I have been to ginni springs, I have not done any MDing there. As far as venice beach goes, I did not have any luck there but the day before I had some good finds at siesta beach and the evening before that cocoa Beach turned up a few goodies. Did not find any Spanish coins that time either. Anyway,, I'm glad to hear your enjoying your new AT Pro!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions