What is the best light weight long scoop?

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
I see those long handled scoops those guys have at Va beach and they are HEAVY!!! Can anyone recommend a nice light weight one? I like the fact that I now have a harness for my md and I dont want to feel like I want to cut off my arms carrying a heavy azz long handled scoop.

ps.. links to where I can be this lightweight one would help!!! :wink:

Upvote 0

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diva

no such animal exits

that diablo i tried to get u to use was just about the lightest scoop around right now that can stand up to most beach hunting condictions...........but it is still in the testing stages for now.........the alum. version of the diablo is only like 3lbs + a bit.

of coarse there are other light weight scoops around, but most will not hold up to water and damp sand hunting.

sept 13th.......inbound the lane

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend this one for now..it comes in at 3 pounds..the size is 5 in wide x 9 inch long
RTG PRO ALUMINUM MINI WATER SCOOP (#733) Far right....picture............ My favorite for me is the Diablo, not available yet but I can swing her around like a baseball bat she is so lite...plus I like the grab handle, very easy to adjust to my needs at the time.....

Attachments

• scoops.jpg
    scoops.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 744

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 733. About as light as you can get and still do the job. A little small for the water but it can be done. And light enough to shake in the dry.
probably the best for merging wet and dry if you want light.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
The best hunters I know told me," always 6" wide minimum for the water" I have a light 5" and a heavy 6" only use the 6" now really makes a big difference and a pinpoint with a CZ21 everytime. When the waves hit you don't want to be scooping more then twice.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a wrist injury the first of the year and also had to find a lighter scoop. The Proscoop comes in 2 sizes and I elected for the smaller size and it has been a GREAT scoop, light weight, wide at the mouth for easy pinpointing, drains fast. To lighten it in the water attach about 10 inches of swimming noodle to the handle. I also added a "backsaver" handle from Walmart for ease of carrying and digging. My wrist has been very happy with this choice. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think they are all on back order until steve gets back to work

or that is what i heard from a local hunter here who has one on order.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anybody every investigated using a carbon fiber pole/tube on their favorite scoop. A standard 6ft tube weighs less than 1 pound and is much stronger than oak or ash. They are much more expensive ($100+) but how much did you pay for scoop?

I'd like to hear other water hunter opinins on this.

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
I had a wrist injury the first of the year and also had to find a lighter scoop. The Proscoop comes in 2 sizes and I elected for the smaller size and it has been a GREAT scoop, light weight, wide at the mouth for easy pinpointing, drains fast. To lighten it in the water attach about 10 inches of swimming noodle to the handle. I also added a "backsaver" handle from Walmart for ease of carrying and digging. My wrist has been very happy with this choice. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html

Can't see how to go about ordering one of these scoops, as there doesn't seem to be a buy-one, or add to basket option.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bill - De said:
Can Slaw said:

Can't see how to go about ordering one of these scoops, as there doesn't seem to be a buy-one, or add to basket option.

Just take the scoop html off the address and there is the web site http://www.prostockdetectors.com/

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
47thelement said:
Has anybody every investigated using a carbon fiber pole/tube on their favorite scoop. A standard 6ft tube weighs less than 1 pound and is much stronger than oak or ash. They are much more expensive ($100+) but how much did you pay for scoop?

The swimming noodle takes the weight off of the wood handle while in the water, they are normally "free" people leave them at the trash cans when they are flying home the next day....savings $100. If I can't carry a pound in the dry sand, it's time I hit the gym before metal detecting. The drag with the ProScoop with the all of the 1/4 inch holes is almost non-existent, that is the best part about it. In strong current is is not flipping all over the place, it digs right in. I can thank Max for telling me about this scoop, it has solved my problem 100%. That's my opinion.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
47thelement said:

The swimming noodle takes the weight off of the wood handle while in the water, they are normally "free" people leave them at the trash cans when they are flying home the next day....savings $100. If I can't carry a pound in the dry sand, it's time I hit the gym before metal detecting. The drag with the ProScoop with the all of the 1/4 inch holes is almost non-existent, that is the best part about it. In strong current is is not flipping all over the place, it digs right in. I can thank Max for telling me about this scoop, it has solved my problem 100%. That's my opinion.
Looks like the holes would be to small for a beach with sand made up of shell particles. I dont think I could use it on any of the Florida West coast beaches. Looks great for fine grain sand. Am I wrong?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The swimming noodle takes the weight off of the wood handle while in the water,

Slaw-

I think we have different view of what a carbon fiber pole poles purpose is. Please allow me to explain my idea. Carbon fiber is like fiberglass but is stronger than steel and extremely light. Many if not all Indy race cars are made of this product because of these properties. My concept is to replace my pole with carbon fiber pole so it is easier to carry between targets.

The beach I hunt I find most targets at waist high or lower so I need to carry my scoop. So I'm looking for the lightest as possibe

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lookindown said:
Can Slaw said:
47thelement said:

Looks like the holes would be to small for a beach with sand made up of shell particles. I dont think I could use it on any of the Florida West coast beaches. Looks great for fine grain sand. Am I wrong?

Works as good as any other scoop in the shells. Can Slaw Beach is Fort Myers, I hunt shell beaches all the time. You should see that thing in the dry sand, dig a target and all that comes up is the target the sand stays in the hole. My large hole scoop I have to shake the heck out of it to get rid of the shells and it is hard on my injured wrist, so I don't mind using the other had to get rid of a few shells. If the shells are that bad, I will use a sifter and not waste time trying to get shells out of any scoop.

This scoop may not be for everyone, I was just trying to help Deva with a light weight scoop that has worked for me. I can say one thing this scoop is stronger than I thought it would be. It has worked great in a couple of rocky lake bottoms I have hunted.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
47thelement said:
I think we have different view of what a carbon fiber pole poles purpose is. Please allow me to explain my idea. Carbon fiber is like fiberglass but is stronger than steel and extremely light. Many if not all Indy race cars are made of this product because of these properties. My concept is to replace my pole with carbon fiber pole so it is easier to carry between targets.

You are going to be seriously disapointed if you try to use CF for a scoop handle. CF is stronger than steel by weight, not by thickness. CF is strong in compression, not in flexion.

Race cars use CF as a disposable shell that bolts over the racing frame. Haven't you seen those things come apart in wrecks?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason

That's a very good point. I never thought about that way. They shatter! Not good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread