Long Island beach hunting after Irene. You in?

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It has been months since I've seriously gone out detecting and I have been itching to get back to it. Along comes Irene and I know that this is the week! My plans are to head out as soon as I am able to on Monday to hit the beaches. I will most likely visit Robert Moses and depending on how it goes at Moses, possibly Jones Beach. If anyone is local and wants to meet up, please contact me. I am always looking for someone to go digging with at the beaches. Hate to see erosion on our beaches, but then again....

For those of you who have been through storms, do you suggest staying in the wet sand or going into the water a bit? I don't want to go in too deep as there are likely to still be strong rip currents, but I do want to position myself in the best search area as I can.

Looking forward to seeing some of you out there!

Chris

Upvote 0

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I would watch the wet also. I went out on the beach in Delaware last night with only a higher waves and higher tide then normal. Three times when walking in the wet I sank in sand up just below my waist. Really caught my attention! I then stayed up on the top of the slope and still some pretty soft spots here and there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Chris! I'm across the Sound in White Plains. Looks like we are going to get clobbered tonight and tomorrow. Joe P. was on Jones Beach last night from about 5pm - 8pm, and sent me photos on his phone of high tide well past the lifeguard chairs, and large wave digouts and cuts already forming on field 4... Dude!

May God protect us, our families and property. When the roads open, and my family, friends and neighbors are all safe, I'll be there. Best of luck! :headbang:

lidigger said:
Hello All,

It has been months since I've seriously gone out detecting and I have been itching to get back to it. Along comes Irene and I know that this is the week! My plans are to head out as soon as I am able to on Monday to hit the beaches. I will most likely visit Robert Moses and depending on how it goes at Moses, possibly Jones Beach. If anyone is local and wants to meet up, please contact me. I am always looking for someone to go digging with at the beaches. Hate to see erosion on our beaches, but then again....

For those of you who have been through storms, do you suggest staying in the wet sand or going into the water a bit? I don't want to go in too deep as there are likely to still be strong rip currents, but I do want to position myself in the best search area as I can.

Looking forward to seeing some of you out there!

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread