What Is The Recipe For a Trash-Riddled Beach?

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_scratch: How goes it fellow TH'ers? I have this puzzling question about a particular beach. For instance, Treasure Island Beach on the gulf coast of Florida is a wonderful beach, but for us treasure hunters it seems to have 10 times more old and new style pull tabs and bottle caps than any other beach I've ever hunted? :help:

Now, this is not just on one occasion that I speak of as me and my wife have hunted this beach repeatedly and did our fair share of picking up hundreds of the damn pull tabs and bottle caps. The thing that puzzles me is that no other area beaches have this exact kind of beach litter or at this magnitude I should say as Treasure Island does. It is the widest of the Pinellas County beaches as well and it seems to have a different variety of dirt like textured sands mixed with very light gravel in the upper broad part of the beach which I wonder where does this sand/dirt-like mixture get pumped from and could that be a factor as why all the oddly familiar small beach litter (old & new pull tabs, bottle caps) is so prominent here? :dontknow:

Not a biggy but somewhat puzzled why this beach vs so many others we've hunted. There's gotta be a reason. Any suggestions or info would be interesting.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have many pull tabs at that beach I would say there can't be much hunting going on there or the hunters are tossing all the trash back on the sand with no thought of them finding them again. Or the hunters are these silly ones that use so much disc to block out those pull tabs and gold rings. :icon_scratch:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a beach over here like that (Dania Beach). I think this one is like that because of the "type" of crowd that hangs out at this particular beach and the particular law enforcement (or lack thereof) that goes on there. I've found full beers and half bottles of liquor before lying on the sand. I've spotted homeless people sleeping on the lifeguard shacks and people passed out or sleeping in their cars at sunrise. The number of beer tabs and bottle caps is overwhelming at this beach. However just north of this beach is a state park, very clean (non-trashy) sand and to the south is Hollywood beach, also pretty clean. I know they only use a chain drag at Dania versus an actual beach cleaner in Hollywood, that may play a part also.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Island was renourished a year ago. That might have something to do with it. :dontknow:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My count is 500 pull tabs for one gold. Every time I dig a pull tab I know I am closer to finding a gold. If there are that many pull tabs you do not have anybody hunting in front of you that will find the gold. If they have discriminated out the pull tabs, they have discriminated out the gold.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wedding band bangs in as a pulltab and one of the largest rings i ever found came in as a tab. I would be out there digging. That is probably what has discouraged others. Go for it!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
drunk folks are sloppy and lose stuff -- they get drunk and have fights --throwing their wedding rings at one another -- well here you s o b --I'm thru with you -- fling of the ring.-- while trashy it can be productive at times to hunt such places.

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_thumright: Thanks guys you've turned a frown :( upside down :) . LOL What appeared to be a persistent aggrevation sounds like it could very well be a positive characterisitic of a gold producing beach. This sum bitch is so wide the dry sand would have to be pounded heavier than Clearwater Beach to even be considered over hunted, as that term never made since to me anyway since people come and people go everyday producing new finds daily not including weather, wind, and surf activity.

:icon_sunny: Thanks again for keeping the enthusiasm flowing for us even when pull tabs and bottle caps tend to produce some odd nightmares for me and my wife ::)

Bobby & Charlene

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:icon_thumright: Thanks guys you've turned a frown :( upside down :) . LOL What appeared to be a persistent aggrevation sounds like it could very well be a positive characterisitic of a gold producing beach. This sum bitch is so wide the dry sand would have to be pounded heavier than Clearwater Beach to even be considered over hunted, as that term never made since to me anyway since people come and people go everyday producing new finds daily not including weather, wind, and surf activity.

:icon_sunny: Thanks again for keeping the enthusiasm flowing for us even when pull tabs and bottle caps tend to produce some odd nightmares for me and my wife ::)

Bobby & Charlene
No matter how trashy a beach, a good long handled scoop is a must. I dig literally hundreds of targets an hour when I detect Dania.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ask Pinellas County and see if they run a beach cleaner on that beach. Holmes Beach in Manatee County is sifted every morning removes a lot of the surface junk but suprisingly it doesn't get the coins or rings. I think the fingers that sift the sand gets the junk but leave coins and some tabs behind. Also always fine out where they dump the stuff if possible.
Outside of that, you dig a lot of trash. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread