Ginnie Springs, FL w/my Garrett AT Pro

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
I went to Ginnie Springs, FL yesterday to do some metal detecting. I called them first to see if it was ok to hunt there. They said Yes, but I cannot dig in the springs themselves. No scoop digging. But I could dig out in the river where people go tubing.

I put up 4 videos today on my youtube.com/user/soozspenser

You should of seen me with my setup, all my gear, etc.. I was quite a sight!! lol.. I had a backpack that is like a camel back, it holds water & has a drinking tube. I never am with out water in my travels. Next time I'll just bring a different back pack with water bottles. I had my water shoes, a water tight diving bag to hold my money, debit card, license, and car keys, and my glasses. I had my snorkel gear; prescription dive mask, fins, snorkel. I had my underwater video camera at first mounted to the detector rod, then it came loose, so I just held it. I had a fanny pouch to hold stuff & a yellow mesh small dive bag to hold my finds. And last but not least, my Garrett AT Pro metal detector with water proof headphones.

The terrain was pretty hard to deal with. lol.. I powered through it though. B/c that's just how I am!! lol.. I found only $1.19 in clad coins & I had to dig for them using my fins to move sand & my gloved hands to dig. It's a wonder I found anything at all!!?? lol.. I also did a lot of ground balancing. I needed to get experience with my machine. I put the coil in the water while holding the GB button & bobbed the coil up & down till I didn't hear any sound. I think I did pretty good. Being as it was my first real time out with my new machine.

The Garrett held up very well. I'm very pleased with it. I made sure all my connections were very tight, but not too tight to damage anything. I had a great time there. I turned a lot of heads as I was the only one with a metal detector. They have a nice deli there with GREAT food!! lol.. I had to have a lunch break between my two hunting sessions. I even hunted two of the four or so volleyball courts they have. I got permission to do so by a staff member that told me to go hunt there too. lol. I didn't find anything at the volleyball courts. I didn't try too hard.

I found LOTS of bottle caps & trash, which is to be expected. That is a party place. They also have scuba divers there, cave diving, a nice dive shop, etc.. ginniespringsoutdoors.com

The two places I hunted in the water were from the very top end, start of the tubing, down river to the Devil springs. I then got out, hunted the volleyball court, then walked the short way to my pickup truck. Then drove over to the deli for some much needed nourishment. Then hunted the water starting in Ginnie Springs there, close to the deli & main building. I ventured out into the river a tiny bit there, but was discouraged by the amount of water grass & grass debris all around. I already got caught pretty bad in water grass coming from the tubing start to the devil springs.

It was a little rough going & the terrain hard on the feet. Since I had fins, it was hard for me to stand, walk in the water at very shallow places. It is also very slippery in places. Water shoes are a must have for that area. Unless you are snorkeling & have your fins!!

Overall, it was fun work. And I got more experience with my Garrett AT Pro. The sounds & the numbers on the screen. People commented that I will find trash, & I told them that this machine eliminates most trash. And they were surprised!! I think I could of sold a few machines there if I had any to sell!! lol.. People took notes & I think Garrett will get a few more customers. lol..

Thanks for reading all this, and checking out my videos. I hope you all find really good stuff, and of course, have lots of fun. :)

ttyl, Tropical Sue & my dog Kelly

Attachments

• ginniefindsAug2011 001.JPG
    ginniefindsAug2011 001.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 809
  • ginniefindsAug2011 001.JPG
    ginniefindsAug2011 001.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Ginnie is a beautiful place to dive. Gin clear water and a constant 72 degrees makes for a refreshing swim in the heat of summer. Did you get rid of your Excal for the AT Pro?

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Diver_Down said:
Ginnie is a beautiful place to dive. Gin clear water and a constant 72 degrees makes for a refreshing swim in the heat of summer. Did you get rid of your Excal for the AT Pro?

Hi, I wound up not being able to get the Excal a year ago, due to it being on back order for many, many months. I just gave up trying to get it. And the shop TreasureQuest Shoppe refunded my money. So now, a year later, I called Bill Winkler, at treasurequest shoppe in DE, & I got the AT Pro. I'm not sure if the AT Pro was available last year or not? But I recently found out about it on facebook & really wanted one.

Bill gave me some good advice for using the AT Pro in water. Don't use high powered hose to wash it off after using it in water. That can make it leak. Use just gentle hose flow of water to clean it. And it's best to not take it to rough surf. Waves can hit the machine at more than 10lbs of pressure & make the machine leak. The machine cannot handle anything more than 10lbs of pressure. Any way that pressure is applied, like below 10', or high powered hose, or big waves hitting it. This is what he & some of his customers have experienced.

ttyl, good hunting, Susan & my dog Kelly

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop selling detectors on my turf or you'll have no finds to find at all, say your finding tons of trash. Also know that the more people you talk to the more people it gets around to, and trust me when I say you'll get some attention you don't want. Sandbars on the river are very nice, you should look into those. Not trying to discourage by any means but the fact is I have had to many people become a little too nosy and before you know it, im no longer allowed in the area, either because they take the hobby or some power hungry ranger has nothing better to do. Low profiles are best. I would like to continue hunting Ginnie so please dont stand out.

Crackbadger

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
CRACKBADGER said:
Stop selling detectors on my turf or you'll have no finds to find at all, say your finding tons of trash. Also know that the more people you talk to the more people it gets around to, and trust me when I say you'll get some attention you don't want. Sandbars on the river are very nice, you should look into those. Not trying to discourage by any means but the fact is I have had to many people become a little too nosy and before you know it, im no longer allowed in the area, either because they take the hobby or some power hungry ranger has nothing better to do. Low profiles are best. I would like to continue hunting Ginnie so please dont stand out.

Crackbadger

Hey CB, I think the next time I go to Ginnie, I'll float it first. All the way down to the last springs there. So I can get a better lay of the land. It was fun, but I need to do a little more work next time. I'm home once a month for 4 days, and weather permitting, I'll try again. I have some other places on my map that I hunt as well. As for standing out, anyone w/a md will stand out. But that's the way it is. People try to discourage me & say places are all hunted out, but I know better. I know the flow of people there, etc.. It doesn't stop me, I just don't tell them anything anymore. Good luck on your hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread