Garrett AT Pro water hunting tips

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hello Everyone, I just got my new Garrett AT Pro recently & took it on it's first water hunt, in fresh water, at Ginnie Springs, FL. I got my machine from Bill Winkler at TreasureQuest Shoppe in DE. He gave me some good advice & I would like to share it with you all. This is to help prevent any leaking that you may encounter with the machine. Mine has not leaked at all. I have been babying it. lol.. Taking good care of it.

Bill gave me some good advice for using the AT Pro in water. Don't use high powered hose to wash it off after using it in water. That can make it leak. Use just gentle hose flow of water to clean it. And it's best to not take it to rough surf. Waves can hit the machine at more than 10lbs of pressure & make the machine leak. The machine cannot handle anything more than 10lbs of pressure. Any way that pressure is applied, like below 10', or high powered hose, or big waves hitting it. This is what he & some of his customers have experienced.

ttyl, good hunting, Susan & my dog Kelly

Upvote 0

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello !!!! Im in Gainesville too......GO GATORS !!!!!

David

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silicone around the housing will fix that problem and ensure u get no leaking. You can use a spray can and apply 2 coats or a glue based silicone and put a nice thin layer on it. It has to do with the gaskets and seal around the housing. Its secure now but y not add another layer?

CB

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hi David, yeah! Go Gators. We should go md'ing sometime.

CB, I thought about putting silicone there, but I thought it might void the warranty. But it's a good idea too.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard where the AT pro is leaking? I thought it might be around the buttons. :dontknow:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I think the question should be how can this machine not leak? Have you every owned a watch that was rated for 50'? If you go into the shower the watch would leak. If your machine is rated at 10' you should treat like it is not made to be submerged. Just putting it in the water and swinging to fast can give you the pressure of 10' or more. Keep it out of the water and consider it only safe to drop in the water.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can Garrett dealers sleep at night selling this machine to saltwater beginners? Selling it to lake hunters is bad enough... in my never humble opinion.

sgratrider

Sep 21, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sue, I bought my Excal off of Bill Winkler. Cool dude to talk to. Told me a few stories about some of his adventures in life. Smart man with a nice little shop. Bike week in Delmarva is coming up mid September, maybe I'll have to stop in for a chat. Anyway, best of luck with your new machine !

Todd

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I read some threads where it had leaked & people sent it back. I am just the messenger. I appreciate Bill sharing his knowledge with me. I posted the info for anyone that would be interested in that info/perspective. It's a nice machine for the price. And anytime you can go underwater, be it, fresh or salt & the machine holds up good, well...that's a plus!! That's why we got the machine in the first place.

sgratrider said:
Hi Sue, I bought my Excal off of Bill Winkler. Cool dude to talk to. Told me a few stories about some of his adventures in life. Smart man with a nice little shop. Bike week in Delmarva is coming up mid September, maybe I'll have to stop in for a chat. Anyway, best of luck with your new machine !

Todd

Hi Todd, good to hear from you. Yes, Bill is a good guy & very professional, and interesting. Bike week sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you can stop by & say hi to him.

ttyl, TS & Kelly

langsy

Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can Garrett dealers sleep at night selling this machine to saltwater beginners? Selling it to lake hunters is bad enough... in my never humble opinion.
ik have a AT PRO and i use it in the gulf 3 times a week average, fully submerged in the ocean water, it never leaked for me. i live in Bradenton beach area

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the question should be how can this machine not leak? Have you every owned a watch that was rated for 50'? If you go into the shower the watch would leak. If your machine is rated at 10' you should treat like it is not made to be submerged. Just putting it in the water and swinging to fast can give you the pressure of 10' or more. Keep it out of the water and consider it only safe to drop in the water.

Can't tell if you are joking or not...

I've taken mine to 5+ feet out in the water many times over the last two years with no issues. I do lots of relic hunting in the spring but once summer is here I fully switch over to water hunting.

That is one of the best things about it

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this thread is old, but if anyone is still wondering, or reading this deciding whether or not to buy, I bought an AT Pro last spring. Have had it in ocean up to knee deep. Have had it in freshwater streams (flowing) and in lakes. I've had it sumberged in those streams. It doesn't leak a bit.
That being said, you *have* to make sure you get the plug connector gaskets seated properly. The connectors should be easy to tighten with the screws, and tighten down all the way without much effort. If you are trying to tighten them and it doesn't go easily, unconnect and carefully reconnect, pushing in firmly till the gasket is well seated. I also put a bit of dielectric grease on them.
I was told to carefully clean it thoroughly after using in salt water. I have found good stuff in salt water with it and dig much less trash than those with non-discriminating machine. And the ATPro totally *rules* any fresh water locale!! Flowing streams, no problem!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is 2 years old...the AT pro leaking problem has been fixed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread