Im getting a Pontoon Boat

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'm getting a Pontoon Boat

My friend is selling me his 25' pontoon boat for $900. It's a fixer upper. I'll take it out places to go exploring & treasure hunting. It's going to be a lot of fun. Great for hooking up a hooka rig to it also. It also has a trailer that is in good shape that comes w/the boat, all for $900. And it has a bimini top. The floor, engine, & seats need work, and some other things too.

ttyl, TS & Kelly

Attachments

• Pontoon.png
    Pontoon.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,476
Upvote 0

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: I'm getting a Pontoon Boat

I have a pirate barge(pontoon) myself. Will haul gear and group to some not so hard hunted areas away from the beaten path. What a blast!!!!!!

Get on any of the mapping programs, find access points and look for sandbars in the satelite or areo view. Sandbars with boats in the picture are worth investigating. Sandbars with lots of boats are a must!!!!!!!

Steve :-)

Attachments

• pirate barge in action.JPG
    pirate barge in action.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 450
  • resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 425
  • pirate barge in action.JPG
    pirate barge in action.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 421
  • drive thru depositors in line resized.jpg
    drive thru depositors in line resized.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 422
  • resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 424

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I've thought of getting some solar panels but I would hook them to the hookah batteries to extend dive time!

Steve :-)

tropicalsue said:
kieser sousa/rip said:
That's a really good deal.I've been shopping around for one with the same idea as you ! I have an electric hookah setup that I plan to install and was thinking of rigging up a glass bottom area. :thumbsup:

Sounds great. I like the electric hookah myself. I like the idea of a glass bottom too. It may not need to be too big either. They have a few glass bottom boats here in Florida. It can be done. I've also seen some neat looking solar pontoon boats on youtube. The panels are in the sunroof & they have several batteries, and a electric motor. That would be good as a back up motor & set up too.

ttyl, happy hunting, TS & Kelly

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

:headbang: WOW! Steve! Excellent!! Thank you for the information and I LOVE your photos'. Thank you for sharing. And the idea for solar w/the hookah sounds great too!!

Very cool. Thank you. I will do as you suggest w/the maps, sandbars, etc..

Tropical Sue & my dog Kelly too! :D

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OldeBeechnut said:
Bigscoop
"the ethanol WILL eat away at your system."

Can you explain alittle more detail on that, like what parts of the fuel system, or motor (valve seal/etc.)..I never new that (unless for extended period of time) and maybe one could do some preventive measures if it's to the fuel system like Braided Hose fuel line, and a alcohol type of fuel cell.

Gas containing ethanol is really tough on marine fuel systems, breaks down the houses, fuel pumps, etc. Today's new motors and fuel systems are designed to handle the ethanol better. Also, never mix ethanol gas with marine gas because it can cause the fuel to gum up. You can go online and find several sources covering the topic. :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

B O A T = Bust Out Another Thousand :tongue3: :laughing9:

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post and info, good luck with ur pontoon boat....safety first!!! I use the "Marine Sta-bil" for the ethonol, seems to work good.
This is my simple rig...great for those party sand bars and hang outs. HH to all

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 403

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks Bigscoop..something for me to work toward down the road..........Coastie, Now I like that..simple it gets you from point A to B, Any thoughts Guys on the Honda Outboard's..looking at the 40 HP..thanks again...........joe

Steve, KK, I love that..Now that is the Ticket! I could camp on that Baby, Gone for weeks........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coastie59 said:
Great post and info, good luck with ur pontoon boat....safety first!!! I use the "Marine Sta-bil" for the ethonol, seems to work good.
This is my simple rig...great for those party sand bars and hang outs. HH to all
OldeBeechnut said:
Thanks Bigscoop..something for me to work toward down the road..........Coastie, Now I like that..simple it gets you from point A to B, Any thoughts Guys on the Honda Outboard's..looking at the 40 HP..thanks again...........joe

Coastie59, I want that boat! Been looking for a good used one just like it. Need something I can get in the skinny water with. Hard to tell from the angle but is that a 16 footer? :thumbsup:

Joe........I really like Honda motors. :thumbsup:

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigmike....its a 19ft....gets me in any skinny water for sure. Joe...Honda makes a good outboard...make sure u use Marine Formula Sta-bil in the fuel, and prob good idea to run the fuel out after use or storage!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks Guys for the tips, I really like yours coastie..what kind of price did you pay for her and who made it, Brand (she fiberglass?)...my thing is one I can handle getting into the water and out by myself...when I'm alone...plus I was told by a friend to get one with a canopy over the top or some type of sun protection. Any other thing I might look for or need? Was hoping to get someone looking to unload a Bass Pro Boat w/trailer....keep the Merc motor as a backup and get the Honda 40 .........

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN- Its a 2001 19ft Carolina Skiff, fiberglass, with a 60hp Suzuki four stroke, has a fold down top, folded back towards the eng, nice to have for the shade. I have no problem launching and getting her back on the trailer by myself, about $7500. in 2003.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bigscoop and Coastie59 for the info, Been watching for a while and Came up with a nice little Sunbird / Honda 50..(30Hours!) Will be Picking her up this coming weekend. Need to do alittle custom paint and lettering to her, change out a few things on the interior to get her setup for hunting. I do have one question for you guys, can I get away with automotive paint in Brackish water. That would be a Urethane Base paint and only in the visible area of the boat, out of the water. The bottom I would use a marine type of paint. Thanks again Guys, hope to be out there next year, once the chains of work are gone...........

Bay Pirate.jpg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, about the auto paint.....I don't think so but I'm not 100% certain on that. Better to check with a marina or two and see what they say.

PS: Love the setup and I'm sure once you're done with it that boat is going to be a 100% effective and efficient treasure hunting ship. ARG!

Last edited:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
couple minor repairs huh .....you know what they say .....BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bigscoop..will do.

Tank
couple minor repairs huh .....you know what they say .....BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand

Pirates Break out a few gold Rings they just dug. :thumbsup:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck:skullflag:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great deal on that boat,it looks real clean for 900.Good hunting when you get it finished.:leprechaun-hat:

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $900 bucks, it's a steal, Congrats on such a great find. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread