Im getting a Pontoon Boat

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'm getting a Pontoon Boat

My friend is selling me his 25' pontoon boat for $900. It's a fixer upper. I'll take it out places to go exploring & treasure hunting. It's going to be a lot of fun. Great for hooking up a hooka rig to it also. It also has a trailer that is in good shape that comes w/the boat, all for $900. And it has a bimini top. The floor, engine, & seats need work, and some other things too.

ttyl, TS & Kelly

Attachments

• Pontoon.png
    Pontoon.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,476
Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm getting a Pontoon Boat

Congratulations on the purchase of the pontoon :hello2:

They are so much fun; my sister and her husband have one and they enjoy it very much.

I wish you lots of fun with the pontoon

Lorraine

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Lorrain. said:
Congratulations on the purchase of the pontoon :hello2:

They are so much fun; my sister and her husband have one and they enjoy it very much.

I wish you lots of fun with the pontoon

Lorraine

Thank you Lorraine. I am so excited about it. :)

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a really good deal.I've been shopping around for one with the same idea as you ! I have an electric hookah setup that I plan to install and was thinking of rigging up a glass bottom area. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

kieser sousa/rip said:
That's a really good deal.I've been shopping around for one with the same idea as you ! I have an electric hookah setup that I plan to install and was thinking of rigging up a glass bottom area. :thumbsup:

Sounds great. I like the electric hookah myself. I like the idea of a glass bottom too. It may not need to be too big either. They have a few glass bottom boats here in Florida. It can be done. I've also seen some neat looking solar pontoon boats on youtube. The panels are in the sunroof & they have several batteries, and a electric motor. That would be good as a back up motor & set up too.

ttyl, happy hunting, TS & Kelly

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tropicalsue said:
My friend is selling me his 25' pontoon boat for $900. It's a fixer upper. I'll take it out places to go exploring & treasure hunting. It's going to be a lot of fun. Great for hooking up a hooka rig to it also. It also has a trailer that is in good shape that comes w/the boat, all for $900. And it has a bimini top. The floor, engine, & seats need work, and some other things too.

ttyl, TS & Kelly

Congratulations and Best of Luck with the boat! :hello2: :headbang: :icon_thumleft: Once you guys get it completely redone and all the work is finished, please call me and tell me what I can do to help, then we will all go out treasure hunting! :laughing7:

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Terry Soloman said:
tropicalsue said:

ttyl, TS & Kelly

Congratulations and Best of Luck with the boat! :hello2: :headbang: :icon_thumleft: Once you guys get it completely redone and all the work is finished, please call me and tell me what I can do to help, then we will all go out treasure hunting! :laughing7:

lol, thank you. I will need some mates when I'm ready to set sail!! :)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Great Deal!! With Preparation and Reaserch the Treasure should prove very rewarding...........keep us up on your adventures.............

Me in 21 months

Attachments

• Pirate Joe (2).jpg
    Pirate Joe (2).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3,300
  • Pirate Joe (2).jpg
    Pirate Joe (2).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 878

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tropicalsue said:
kieser sousa/rip said:

Sounds great. I like the electric hookah myself. I like the idea of a glass bottom too. It may not need to be too big either. They have a few glass bottom boats here in Florida. It can be done. I've also seen some neat looking solar pontoon boats on youtube. The panels are in the sunroof & they have several batteries, and a electric motor. That would be good as a back up motor & set up too.

ttyl, happy hunting, TS & Kelly

Thats a good idea on the solar panels...I'll have to look into that....Thanks !

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

That boat doesn't look like it needs much work at all. Great deal!

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

OldeBeechnut said:
Great Deal!! With Preparation and Reaserch the Treasure should prove very rewarding...........keep us up on your adventures.............

Me in 21 months

lol! That is so funny. Hey, even old pirate Joe has a good idea to hunt for treasure with a md!! lol.. He's way ahead of his fellows. He's got his boat, parrot, hat, md, etc.. he's all set!! lol.. cute photo.

Yes, I got a pretty good deal. This $900 is just to start out with. I will keep track of how much I put into it. I like the idea of stripping it down & re-designing the floor plan. I want to leave enough room to pitch a tent if I am ever able to go boat camping with it. In Florida, I think there are many opportunities for boat camping. I would have to check the laws, safety, etc.. And parking my tow vehicle in a safe place for a day or two is a concern too. I'm trying to learn all that I can before the boat is ready for water.

The boat in the photo is just an example. You'll see photos of my actual boat later this month.. lol.. I've seen it in his yard, he had it covered & under a parking roof area. He's fixing the trailer so that will be in good shape. That's a start. He's a merchant marine, so I am assuming he certainly knows how to drive a smaller boat (he's a master aka captain for a oil tanker ship). So I don't feel that there could be water in any of the toons. He wouldn't hit anything and knows the waters very well.

I noticed online some solar panels for about $150 which if you put several together, may be just the ticket for solar roof & power for electric motor. Now making the roof will be a challenge, but not impossible.

Thanks for feedback. HH. TS & Kelly

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

The real Pirate Joe/Obn

Went out this past week with my hunting partner, early morning hunt............ came home with some treasure...(5 rings/2 gold) As people that hit the public beach's start cutting back on wearing the Gold. Research on the OldeBeech's that have now Past will be the new frontier for treasure's. Hopefully I'll be doing this full time come 21 months

Couple tips I can give you is watch your tides and always wear a inflateable PFD in new locations...Good Luck.................................joe/obn

Attachments

• IMG_2605[1].JPG
    IMG_2605[1].JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 675

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, I've had a pontoon for many years now. Started out with a fixer upper years ago and now use a 22 foot Bentley with a 115 four stroke Mercury. I take week long river trips on mine. I find lots of arowheads on the sand bars plus jewelry and coins at the party spots..
Always remember the definition of a boat. "A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into."

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got an 18 footer, great metal detecting vessel! The three most important things......it has to float, it has to run when you need it to, and items like lights, etc., have to be reliable. Beyond that keep it simple and don't toss anymore money at it then you have too. And always carry a spare battery that is fully charged. A boat can become a money pit in a hurry if you don't maintain it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Thank you all for the good advice. I am taking heed. OldBeechNut, I've not thought of wearing a pfd while in the water. I have a vest for water skiing that I can wear.

Yes, I've heard that about boats, money pit!! lol.. Our objective is to have fun, and that does cost a bit of money. But it adds to life experience & memories.

That's a good idea with keeping a extra battery. I will keep a trolling motor too, & other safety items.

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback. I appreciate it. :)

Tropical Sue & my dog Kelly

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tropicalsue said:

ttyl, TS & Kelly

looks really good!!! if the engine needs much work or replaced just buy a good used engine.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you're going to run gas with ethanol in it, "always use an additive and always unhook the tank and run the gas out of the motor after each use." If you let the gas sit in the motor "the ethanol WILL eat away at your system." If you can, always run marine gas in the engine, it cost more but it's well worth it. But even then, always run the gas out of the motor after each use. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tropicalsue

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

bigscoop said:
If you're going to run gas with ethanol in it, "always use an additive and always unhook the tank and run the gas out of the motor after each use." If you let the gas sit in the motor "the ethanol WILL eat away at your system." If you can, always run marine gas in the engine, it cost more but it's well worth it. But even then, always run the gas out of the motor after each use. :thumbsup:

Thank you bigscoop & seeker for the info. I'm not sure if he ran the gas out of it or not? I'll have to ask him. He'll give me the whole lowdown on it. And like seeker said, if it's in really bad shape, I can just get a good used one. They are everywhere in Florida. That is good advice you all give me, and I'm making a advice folder to keep it all in. You guys are great. Thank you. :headbang:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Bigscoop
"the ethanol WILL eat away at your system."

Can you explain alittle more detail on that, like what parts of the fuel system, or motor (valve seal/etc.)..I never new that (unless for extended period of time) and maybe one could do some preventive measures if it's to the fuel system like Braided Hose fuel line, and a alcohol type of fuel cell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread