CORPUS CHRISTI BEACH TEXAS, WHATS WRONG?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
HEY MY FIRST POST WELL WE ALL GOTTA START SOMEWHERE. WENT TO WINTER DOWN IN TEXAS LAST YEAR.WE STAYED RIGHT ON CORPUS CHRISTI BEACH.NEAR THE TEXAS STATE AQUARIUM AREA.I HAD BEEN READING LOCAL HISTORY AND WAS DROOLING.SEEMS THE AREA WAS LONG TIME AMUSEMENT PARK AND ONE THING THEY DID THERE WAS RENT LITTLE BOATS.FROM LATE 1800S TIL ABOUT 1920S AND BOY IM THINKING BARBER COINS.I WENT OUT WITH MY OLDER TESORO WHICH WORKS FINE IN ILLINOIS.I HAVE BEEN HUNTING SINCE 1966 SO I KNOW QUITE A BIT ABOUT METAL DETECTORS.FINDS WERE BAD OVER 10 HOURS HUNTING PRODUCED UNDER A DOLLAR MODERN CHANGE.AT WHICH POINT I GAVE UP ON DETECTING AND JUST ENJOY THE WEATHER.LOTS OF ERRATIC SIGNALS TOO.DOES ANYBODY KNOW THIS BEACH? HAS IT BEEN BACKFILLED.OR BOTTOM MUCK ADDED TO.MAYBE THERE IS A WRECK IN THE HARBOR LOTS OF SMALL CORRODED IRON IN AREA.ANOTHER GUY SHOWED UP WITH AN OLDER FISHER X MACHINE.BUT HE DIDNT STAY LONG AND DIDNT WANT TO TALK.IM THINKIN SOUTH PADRE THIS YEAR ANYONE KNOW THE BEACHES THERE? PS I ALSO DUG A 20 BY 20 HOLLOW SQUARE AND DETECTEDAT 1 2 3 AND 5 FEET;NADA I DECIDED NOT TO GO DEEPER CONSIDERING PEOPLE ARE BEGGINNING TO WONDER.

Upvote 0

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
its not the beach,its your machine. Very few machines can deal with the salt water,so what may work great out here in the mid-west just wont cut it in salt water conditions. I was in the same boat as yourself earlier this year when I took my machine to Myrtle Beach and couldnt find anything but ghost signals and chatter in the water or on the wet sand. If you plan on hunting with your machine you will have to hunt in the dry sand. If however you want to hunt in the water there are several good machines that you may want to checkout. Ive been shopping a water machine pretty hard recently and Im pretty much sold on the Tesoro Tiger Shark, $600 with free shipping,lifetime warranty,and from everything Ive been able to read there doesnt seem to be very many drawbacks with this machine. In addition I can tell you they are as rare as hens teeth on Ebay and the few that have come up for auction on there have sold at very close to the price you pay for a new one so if you dont like it you can sell it very easily at a minimal loss. Im not trying to start a detector flame war, I know there are better machines out there that a person could acquire but many hours of research have led me to believe this one is the best one for the money, and Im buying one this week. The one thing that pushed me off the fence I guess is that the machine is supposed to be excellent for dry land hunting as well. This way I can take just the one detector on vacation and not be limited to only hunting the beach...hope this helps :}

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree scrounger, it's probably your machine, especially if your getting a lot of ghost signals. A lot of the time it can also depend on where you are working on the beach.
Deepsix

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Scrounger: I live in Corpus Christi & Believe me, there's plenty of Loot along the North Beach! You just need the right MD to find it. Salt Water Beaches are different than Fresh Water. Talk to some Beach hunters about PI vs VLF Detectors, advantages & disadvantages.

There was a Amusement Park called Crystal Beach Park during at least the 20's & early 30's. I'm not sure exactly where it was tho!
There's a story re: a miser who buried $50k. at the N. end of North Beach. Then there was "money hill', about 3 mi. S. of Aransas Pass along Mustang Island where Pirate Gold was found after storms.

TideSweeper

Feb 5, 2013
Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
ML Nox 600
THANKS Willie
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In my experience, the dry in this area is loaded with pull tabs, foil and bottle caps. Out in the water it's a different story but good targets few and not common. North Beach or Corpus Christi Beach is a back filled beach as are all the " bay beaches" in this area.

But, to all the northern folk, feel free to come on down and clean out the trash ... lol

You'll have better luck on North Padre Island or Port Aransas.

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected Corpus beaches last year with my Sand Shark( PI has no issues in the wet salt) I did not get into the water and only had a limited amount of time, found mostly clad. Be advised No detecting on Padre Island National Seashore. I did ok near the pier up at Port Aransas , and will return in the future, try to hit it after a storm...much better results..

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
its not the beach,its your machine. Very few machines can deal with the salt water,so what may work great out here in the mid-west just wont cut it in salt water conditions. I was in the same boat as yourself earlier this year when I took my machine to Myrtle Beach and couldnt find anything but ghost signals and chatter in the water or on the wet sand. If you plan on hunting with your machine you will have to hunt in the dry sand. If however you want to hunt in the water there are several good machines that you may want to checkout. Ive been shopping a water machine pretty hard recently and Im pretty much sold on the Tesoro Tiger Shark, $600 with free shipping,lifetime warranty,and from everything Ive been able to read there doesnt seem to be very many drawbacks with this machine. In addition I can tell you they are as rare as hens teeth on Ebay and the few that have come up for auction on there have sold at very close to the price you pay for a new one so if you dont like it you can sell it very easily at a minimal loss. Im not trying to start a detector flame war, I know there are better machines out there that a person could acquire but many hours of research have led me to believe this one is the best one for the money, and Im buying one this week. The one thing that pushed me off the fence I guess is that the machine is supposed to be excellent for dry land hunting as well. This way I can take just the one detector on vacation and not be limited to only hunting the beach...hope this helps :}

Research pays off. Note: there are 2 shark models from Tesoro, 1 is the tiger shark made for fresh water hunting and the other is the sand shark, which is for salt water hunting. Be sure to get the right machine for where you plan to hunt.
Good luck!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Research pays off. Note: there are 2 shark models from Tesoro, 1 is the tiger shark made for fresh water hunting and the other is the sand shark, which is for salt water hunting. Be sure to get the right machine for where you plan to hunt.
Good luck!

Yeah, research pays off . This is a 2006 post and the poor old Snowbird probably died of old age by now...

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yess this old snowbird is dead....whoooo eeeeeeek . i am his ghost. no i changed my name

when tnet changed platforms. the scrounger d detector collector wouldnt work anymore.

talk about ghosts. someone reincarnated my very first post. from seven yrs ago.

which is the oldest i have ever seen. i didnt know you could even do this.

not dead yet beauty of becoming a snowbird at 45.

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yess this old snowbird is dead....whoooo eeeeeeek . i am his ghost. no i changed my name

when tnet changed platforms. the scrounger d detector collector wouldnt work anymore.

Welcome back from the Twilight Zone! - So, did you buy a different model and have you had success on Texas beaches?

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY MY FIRST POST WELL WE ALL GOTTA START SOMEWHERE. WENT TO WINTER DOWN IN TEXAS LAST YEAR.WE STAYED RIGHT ON CORPUS CHRISTI BEACH.NEAR THE TEXAS STATE AQUARIUM AREA.I HAD BEEN READING LOCAL HISTORY AND WAS DROOLING.SEEMS THE AREA WAS LONG TIME AMUSEMENT PARK AND ONE THING THEY DID THERE WAS RENT LITTLE BOATS.FROM LATE 1800S TIL ABOUT 1920S AND BOY IM THINKING BARBER COINS.I WENT OUT WITH MY OLDER TESORO WHICH WORKS FINE IN ILLINOIS.I HAVE BEEN HUNTING SINCE 1966 SO I KNOW QUITE A BIT ABOUT METAL DETECTORS.FINDS WERE BAD OVER 10 HOURS HUNTING PRODUCED UNDER A DOLLAR MODERN CHANGE.AT WHICH POINT I GAVE UP ON DETECTING AND JUST ENJOY THE WEATHER.LOTS OF ERRATIC SIGNALS TOO.DOES ANYBODY KNOW THIS BEACH? HAS IT BEEN BACKFILLED.OR BOTTOM MUCK ADDED TO.MAYBE THERE IS A WRECK IN THE HARBOR LOTS OF SMALL CORRODED IRON IN AREA.ANOTHER GUY SHOWED UP WITH AN OLDER FISHER X MACHINE.BUT HE DIDNT STAY LONG AND DIDNT WANT TO TALK.IM THINKIN SOUTH PADRE THIS YEAR ANYONE KNOW THE BEACHES THERE? PS I ALSO DUG A 20 BY 20 HOLLOW SQUARE AND DETECTEDAT 1 2 3 AND 5 FEET;NADA I DECIDED NOT TO GO DEEPER CONSIDERING PEOPLE ARE BEGGINNING TO WONDER.

No offense, but please try to avoid using ALL CAPS. It's hard as **** to read.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

I think austin said that because you said you have been md 'hunting' since 1966....and your post from 2013 says you are not a snowbird because you are 45yrs old. That would of made you 40 in 2006 & 47 in 2013. It's easy to see why he called you a snowbird. So the 1966 was your birth year. I'm sure no insult was intended.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is 11 years old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread