smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved this from the general forum to here:

Seeing how a lot coins and rings (especially in fresh water) are in the first few inches of sand, has anybody tried snorkeling with a hand held scoop and no detector. What I'm thinking is those floating docks in some swimming areas that are usually in 8' or less of water. Diving down and methodically scooping and sifting the sand all around the dock. No detecting and pinpointing, just scooping. Huh?? Anybody?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure some have, but its going to take a LOT longer and you will still miss a lot of targets.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I have had great success just scooping. The trick is to scoop a complete grid. It is actually quicker then using a MD. Go for it you will be amazed how much you will find! The only problem I have with it is where to put all the rings!

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I hit an area in freshwater where a quarter and/or a bottle cap was buried about every 2 inches. (1" deep) It ended up being easier to just scoop without detecting. A small coil would have been nice. There was a lot of broken glass too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done this in my younger days and it was fun as well as profitable because metal detectors were unknown. Warren Merkitch's book, Beachcomber's Handbook describes using a screen sifter which he pulls through the sand to gather all the goodies. My copy I got from Kellyco and it cost $4.00 way back when. Now Amazon.com has them at around $122.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Merkit...V2WE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1315682252&sr=8-8

This one is only $20.00 http://www.49er-gold.com/treasure_books.html Book is the size of a Field & Stream magazine and as thick too with lots of pics on building the different kinds, etc. My sifter is still hanging in the garage.

Attachments

• Beachcombers_Handbook_tn.jpg
    Beachcombers_Handbook_tn.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 248

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to do this at a couple of state park beaches where detectors were not allowed until after the season was closed. Think "clam rake" and you'd be surprised how creative you can get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread