My New Beach Sweeper Setup

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s my new custom built beach sweeper.
1) Super strong, stiff, lightweight fiberglass shaft for maximum control and zero deflection.
2) Slotted forearm cuffs so they can be custom fitted to the forearm. (Always nice and snug like they should be.)
3) A power handle that can be rotated 360 degrees and slid up and down the shaft so I can attain custom comfort. Also can be arranged for two hand control when battling stiff currents.
4) The Excal control box is mounted at the side so the controls are always visible and within easy reach.
5) And finally, a WOT coil so I can attain maximum depth while covering more ground with each sweep.

The balance is great and I can swing this thing all day long. The tighter cuff fit, power handle, and stiffer shaft has made it a lot easier to hunt the surf. Now I just have to find a way to get to the beach more often. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• detec5.jpg
    detec5.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 579
  • detect4.jpg
    detect4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 570
  • detec3.jpg
    detec3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont see what a slotted armcuff is, I use a velcro strap on mine which keeps it real tight. You could put a velcro strap on yours for more tighter fit. How did you bolt the housing to the pole? You didnt bolt through the housing did you? Nice set up. I have done some diving set ups with PVC that was filled with fiberglass strands and resin making it heavy(for heavier than water underwater work) and stiff and unbreakable. I used a T fitting for the handle and ran the fiberglass down the handle and went both ways with the strands, and poured in resin. Real stiff.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
I dont see what a slotted armcuff is, I use a velcro strap on mine which keeps it real tight. You could put a velcro strap on yours for more tighter fit. How did you bolt the housing to the pole? You didnt bolt through the housing did you? Nice set up. I have done some diving set ups with PVC that was filled with fiberglass strands and resin making it heavy(for heavier than water underwater work) and stiff and unbreakable. I used a T fitting for the handle and ran the fiberglass down the handle and went both ways with the strands, and poured in resin. Real stiff.

I'm a small guy with small forearms. The arm cuffs on this unit are two pieces and they are double slotted so I can bring them in to fit snug around my forearm, otherwise, even with a velcro strap my forearm was sliding from side to side. I bolted the control panel to the shaft by running two long stainless screws through the shaft, then through two fiberglass tube spacers with a radious cut in them where they meet the shaft, then through the control housing mounting holes, then the wing nuts. The coil coupling is fiberglassed into the shaft and I used marine resin on the inside to further secure it. It will never work loose. (I used a small piece of fiberglass tubing inside the control housing mounting plates where the shaft usually goes so I wouldn't stress the housing when tightening the wing nuts.)

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I see!!! Very cool. Good way to tighten it on your arm! And a good way to attach the housing to the pole too! Is that yellow fiberglass pole a painters extendable pole?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice looking Excalibur, Lotta work went into her on all the modes. I like the way you can reach the controls, and the handle very different and functional. What headphones are those I don't recognize them? Good Luck and She should bring home the gold now with the big coil.......

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
I see!!! Very cool. Good way to tighten it on your arm! And a good way to attach the housing to the pole too! Is that yellow fiberglass pole a painters extendable pole?

Exactly. It's a one inch pole. I found it at a garage sale, was one of the older industrial grade shafts. I gave .50 for it. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Very nice looking Excalibur, Lotta work went into her on all the modes. I like the way you can reach the controls, and the handle very different and functional. What headphones are those I don't recognize them? Good Luck and She should bring home the gold now with the big coil.......

The headphones (guts) are actually stock, but Mike did a little shopping around at Harbor Freight and he found some pieces that allowed him to sort of assemble a quieter setup. You can't even hear a stiff wind blowing once you have them on.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Meet a guy in OC this year had the same shaft..got some pic's some where..he had a handle that the end would come off and he keep his rings in there. He also had one Bigscoop........

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Meet a guy in OC this year had the same shaft..got some pic's some where..he had a handle that the end would come off and he keep his rings in there. He also had one Bigscoop........

That's my next project when I get time....a bigger bucket at the end of my scoop.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, I'm hoping to make a trip over soon.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.S.Tupperware said:
Nice work, I'm hoping to make a trip over soon.

Lots of deeper change in the wet sand, a few pieces of junk jewelry here and there. Been wanting to get out in the surf but even at low tide there's still quite a bit of current to deal with on account of the passing storm in the Atlantic. Should calm back down in a few days. :dontknow:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice heater - i had one kinda like it back in 04/05 - kinda

my was belt mounted and S-12 coil, but it found lots of yellow in those days.

big scoop rich has two yellow.....real long jobs....he is like 6'7"

nice job, good luck spinning

great work also

Attachments

• 7168.jpg
    7168.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 433

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, those sound deadening ear muffs from Harbor Freight are very quiet, I have 2 pairs, one at home for use with the chain saw, or high speed cut off wheel, circular saw, that kind of thing, and another on my boat when I go into the engine room with engines or generator running. They really keep it quiet. I thought they would be a good candidate for ear phones. They fit tight too. And the best part, they only cost about $4. I have 2 White's surfmaster PIs that have kind of loose fitting headphones, I might do that swap out. I have to figure if they will work as waterproof underwater like the stock ones. The stock ones fill with water, so I guess I could just cut out the phone parts and glue into place. Thanks for the detailed descriptions.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not exactly sure how Mike managed the headphones, he was/is an excellent industrial electrician who likes to tinker so I leave all that stuff to him and just assume it's good to go. :laughing7: And it seldom fails me.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you just have to paint it all the same color... ;D

Looks good though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread