Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always been a PI user for wet sand and the surf and I'm in the market for a new beach detector soon.

Just curious what the experienced beach hunters out there were enjoying the most these days.

I know PI users love the depth but hate the lack of discrimination, while Excal users love the discrimination but hate the wait on repairs when needed.

So who is currently in love with their beach detector? ;D

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
I have always been a PI user for wet sand and the surf and I'm in the market for a new beach detector soon.

Just curious what the experienced beach hunters out there were enjoying the most these days.

I know PI users love the depth but hate the lack of discrimination, while Excal users love the discrimination but hate the wait on repairs when needed.

So who is currently in love with their beach detector? ;D

I am, but then again, I am a PI user. No complaints from me. Fair number of peeps like their excals -- Fair number like their Fisher CZ series. Whites crowd seems to be growing as well.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had always been a CZ user, been playing with other units this last year. Lately I've been using an Excal with a WOT and while it hunts deep and I do like it, I think I'd still rather be using a CZ, and here's why.........."They hunt well, they're built like a tank, I can hang the control box on a belt which saves on arm fatigue and adds hours of extra hunting time, and the service is great." Everytime I sink the Excal I keep wondering if today is going to be the day that I'm going to have trouble with it? Never once had that fear in the back of my mind with the CZ, and for me, I just like feeling that if I do have problems I can get it repaired and returned fairly quick. When you look at the cost, a guy shouldn't have to wait forever to get his unit repaired and back in the water. Tough call to make, for sure. :dontknow:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with BigScoop..I have 5 Excalibur's, love everyone of them, probably one of the best VLF water machines of it's time..but when I go deep (fully submerged for hours)..the CZ 20 gets the call everytime. Built like a tank, finds the treasure.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how deep you want to hunt in the water, the Sovereign GT gets a top vote. Actually, reported by users of both to be deeper than the Excal, second to none in wet or dry sand, and is a first class dirt hunter as well.

I hunt with a GT and love it!!!

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tjc45 said:
Depending on how deep you want to hunt in the water, the Sovereign GT gets a top vote. Actually, reported by users of both to be deeper than the Excal, second to none in wet or dry sand, and is a first class dirt hunter as well.

I hunt with a GT and love it!!!
I have to agree. I have both excal and sov. gt, and prefer the gt. I purchased a waterproof box, and some waterproof fittings and put the gt inside it to keep it dry incase I get cuaght in the rain. Dig no iron(unless you want).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
I agree with BigScoop..I have 5 Excalibur's, love everyone of them, probably one of the best VLF water machines of it's time..but when I go deep (fully submerged for hours)..the CZ 20 gets the call everytime. Built like a tank, finds the treasure.
I too prefer the CZ-20 over my Excal 1000 as I had mine down plenty deep as a diver. It is my "Go to machine." It is plenty deep for me and I would be digging less targets with a PI because I would be tired out from all that digging of deep holes. Time spent digging deep trash is time wasted.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to box up a Sovereign this winter. I had the Excalibur. A nice detector. I prefer the Sovereign though.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never heard anything negative about the CZ21....cant say that about the other water detectors.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in a similar canoe, I'm a Whites man, but since it's so sanded in i don't see an advantage over my DF, but I am leanin to a BH300. But not til I have enough targets mixed with iron.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st) CZ -20, 2nd) Older Excal ,3rd ) Sov.Elite 4th) DF Thats my line up :tongue3:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the Excalibur in the shallow trashy water. Seven years and it has not had to go in for repairs. If it did, I have a Sea Hunter for a backup. I was not that lucky with my CZ 20 and the "new" Fisher company wanted $540. to repair it. I didn't like it that much, so I fixed it myself and sold it.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the posts everyone. The CZ-20/21 is a lot more popular than I thought.

I read on a forum that Minelab was going to raise its prices on several of its units come the end of this month, including the Excal. I think the price is going up $200-$300. Seems a bit excessive.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
I use the Excalibur in the shallow trashy water. Seven years and it has not had to go in for repairs. If it did, I have a Sea Hunter for a backup. I was not that lucky with my CZ 20 and the "new" Fisher company wanted $540. to repair it. I didn't like it that much, so I fixed it myself and sold it.
I thought they would convert the CZ20 to a CZ21 for $300. Is this true? If you needed new headphones or a coil it would be more than $300. :dontknow:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Thanks for the posts everyone. The CZ-20/21 is a lot more popular than I thought.

I read on a forum that Minelab was going to raise its prices on several of its units come the end of this month, including the Excal. I think the price is going up $200-$300. Seems a bit excessive.

A PI hunts a touch deeper then a CZ, but like Sandman says, it lacks disc. The Excal hunts deep and has fantastic disc, but slow service and an increase in pricing sounds like a company with serious troubles to me. The CZ is just a really nice fit in the middle of all this. It hunts deep, has good disc, it's been around for a long time as a staple of the industry, Fisher usually provides great service, and it's very reliable machine. Like I said, I really like the Excal, love the fact that I can put a big WOT coil on it, but if I could only have one machine then it would be the CZ with a 10" coil simply because of the service issues associated with the Excal. When you spend big money on a machine the reliability and service has to be included in the purchase price. When a company is having service issues and then they raise their prices, well, I see red flags.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Smudge said:

A PI hunts a touch deeper then a CZ, but like Sandman says, it lacks disc. The Excal hunts deep and has fantastic disc, but slow service and an increase in pricing sounds like a company with serious troubles to me. The CZ is just a really nice fit in the middle of all this. It hunts deep, has good disc, it's been around for a long time as a staple of the industry, Fisher usually provides great service, and it's very reliable machine. Like I said, I really like the Excal, love the fact that I can put a big WOT coil on it, but if I could only have one machine then it would be the CZ with a 10" coil simply because of the service issues associated with the Excal. When you spend big money on a machine the reliability and service has to be included in the purchase price. When a company is having service issues and then they raise their prices, well, I see red flags.
Your right....a top of the line machine should have top of the line customer service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread