Long Island, New York Ring Hunt

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A man lost his wedding band a couple of days ago out at Jones Beach, Field #2, and after reading his wife's appeal for help, I thought I would give it a shot. We have had massive flooding throughout Westchester County, NY, on top of the Hurricane. Today was the first day all the Parkways were open for me to get out to Long Island.

My gal and I got to Field #2 (which was closed) about an hour before low tide. She dropped me off and I walked in while she went East to Field #6. I had to walk about 1/8th-of-a-mile through 2'-deep water that had completely flooded Field #2 to actually get out to what was left of the beach. It is basically just a big sandbar, completely cut off from the mainland. I hope you can see it in the first photo. I'm standing out on the beach, looking back at Field 2 in the top photo. The bottom is looking west, out to sea.

The waves were extremely big, and the riptide was incredible. I went down TWICE in just knee-to-hip-deep water! When I wasn't in the water, the black flies swarmed me. I gave it my best shot for three solid hours. Maybe the guys will have better luck - and conditions tomorrow. The second photo shows Field #4, which was only partially flooded, and my meager finds.

At least we had a beautiful day at the beach. I paid for it though. I feel beat up, bruised and disappointed. Next Time! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• j91.jpg
    j91.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 473
  • gretrgh.jpg
    gretrgh.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 0

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
biting black flies ??

i do not likem

go back and find that yellow
get some bug spray

good luck

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics are great , Terry!

That necklace looks good....gold ?

Be careful out there

Lorraine

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice find on the chain Terry.
Now you see why I think chest waders are so dangerous. Those conditions are common in FL during the winter months.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can Slaw said:
Nice find on the chain Terry.
Now you see why I think chest waders are so dangerous. Those conditions are common in FL during the winter months.

Thank's Can Slaw! You are absolutely right about waders. When I do use them, I make sure my bottoms are semi-inflated and my wading belt is tightly in place! I would NEVER use them in the mess I was in today. That was THE strongest water of the season for me - and I am BEAT!

Lorraine, the chain tests silver, and feels like 14-grams or so in my hand - no scale. I got knocked off of it twice before I finally put it in the finds pouch. The quarters and dimes weren't any easier. Just a brutal day in the water. The black flies were the cherry on top. :laughing7:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you tried better luck next time not the best conditions to be trying ...

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cause was good. The rest was just details. You got a good story to tell. All in all, a good day!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread