Speedy detectorists

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I notice a lot of beach hunters are moving at pretty quick speeds and don't really overlap coil sweeps. Seems like there is a lot of ground not being covered. Do you find this hunting style to be more productive than slowing down and overlapping coil sweeps? I've been out at the beach the last two nights and I tend to go slow and overlap. I pulled a silver womens ring two nights ago and a 10K gold mens wedding band last night. Whenever I speed up and try the fast paced methods I see on the beach and in videos my targets go down considerably. I guess this fast paced method must work for some people, but just seems like a lot of ground is being missed, and you might be walking right over that next piece of gold.

Your thoughts?...

HH - Nate

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lookindown said:
If you marked off a 100x100 foot area and planted 10 random targets, who would find more in one hour? The guy going slow, overlapping, and gridding or the guy running around like a maniac? Dont call me OverkillOverkill even if I deserve it. :laughing7:
Well if you plant them 18 inches deep then the grid guy, for sure! If you put them on top then the speedster! :headbang:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
If you marked off a 100x100 foot area and planted 10 random targets, who would find more in one hour? The guy going slow, overlapping, and gridding or the guy running around like a maniac? Dont call me OverkillOverkill even if I deserve it. :laughing7:

The guy guying slow & overlapping :thumbsup: Especially if they are buried deeper. Swinging haphazardly & too quickly and you miss big gaps in the sand - you have no reference point of where you were or where you're going. Gridding covers all...and gets the gold :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried Crap NJ said:
lookindown said:
Well if you plant them 18 inches deep then the grid guy, for sure! If you put them on top then the speedster! :headbang:

After slowing down and reading this reply, I think I can run with this answer. :laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
lookindown said:

After slowing down and reading this reply, I think I can run with this answer. :laughing7:

Witty...I like it! :tongue3:

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever watch this little movie ?

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He looked more like a slow paced searcher than a speedster. Course he's not getting much coverage with the stiff arm approach. Hahaha :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions