Garrett AT PRO in SaltWater

Sep 8, 2010
Blount County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 & Garrett Pin Pointer
I have noticed some people starting to have some pretty good finds on the dry sand and wet sand of saltwater beaches with the Garrett AT Pro and there is even some youtube videos of some guys out in the ocean about 4 or 5 feet deep having some luck with it. Have any of you beach and saltwater hunters tried it out? or had any success in those areas with it?

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.. you hunt like me.
Pack-a-lunch

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.. you hunt like me.
Pack-a-lunch
Yeah, its about 90 miles to the water from where I live and when we go we get our moneys worth.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think a corroded fitting will stop the AT Pro from working in saltwater That looks more like owner error to me. Looks like the detector was put away saltwater wet more than a few times.

My pro shaft is all scratched up but that's ok right

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.. mine is too.. it happens.
Try to make sure you rinse it real well before retracting the shaft..little bits of sand can get in and act like sandpaper.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.. mine is too.. it happens.
Try to make sure you rinse it real well before retracting the shaft..little bits of sand can get in and act like sandpaper.

Okay I will going out again today

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
The AT PRO is the true dream machine. Gets great depth even on small jewelry without any false signals. Picks up gold chains. Quiet operation even in black sand. A dream in the salty surf, it is so stable. The guys that use them where I hunt always kill it. That will be my next machine for sure!

Last edited:

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT PRO is the true dream machine. Gets great depth even on small jewelry without any false signals. Picks up gold chains. Quit operation even in black sand. A dream in the salty surf, it is so stable. The guys that use them where I hunt always kill it. That will be my next machine for sure!

Love mine still haven't found gold yet though

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of those pull tabs wont be a pull tab one of these days.. 8-)

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine falsed some at Myrtle (wet sand and and surf) but can't wait to give it another go next month in Jersey. Now that i got a decent scoop, I'm curious how it will perform there. Def prefer the stock coil over the 5x8 at the beach.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine falsed some at Myrtle (wet sand and and surf) but can't wait to give it another go next month in Jersey. Now that i got a decent scoop, I'm curious how it will perform there. Def prefer the stock coil over the 5x8 at the beach.

Good luck what beach are you hitting

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In Jersey my AT works great in the dry and wet sand. However it will false in Ventnor and AC. Clean quiet in Ocean City, Avalon, and Stone Harbor. All depends on the black sand so more time than not I use the PI. However I am getting too old for all the digging. But that machine talks to me after 15 years.

dham

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Jersey my AT works great in the dry and wet sand. However it will false in Ventnor and AC. Clean quiet in Ocean City, Avalon, and Stone Harbor. All depends on the black sand so more time than not I use the PI. However I am getting too old for all the digging. But that machine talks to me after 15 years.

Hi NJcigarman, I am contemplating an AT Pro purchase. I plan to use it mainly in the AC/Ventnor areas. Do you think there is some sort of EMI happening at those beaches? Is the falseing to the point that it is unusable or merely annoying?

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It falses abit in saltwater, you have to run it low ..... But once you get the hang of it you could find something like this ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428664687.733297.jpg

Found last year using a garrett at pro

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title of this thread should be AT Pro in highly mineralized environments.. It's not the salt water that creates any issues

rickivens

Aug 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am going to find out. I just ordered one from Kellyco and will be hunting nearly exclusively in the salt waters of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I thought long and hard about other units but read enough positive about salt surf hunting with the AT Pro to take the plunge. I had a long talk with Rusty from Garret, a very nice guy. He gave me some pointers on salt water use. We both have some hearing loss and he has trouble hearing some of the subtle high frequency changes of tone that may be necessary to mentally discriminate targets and likes a visual alert as well, I think I may have the same problem.
If I like the concept but want a better unit I will move to what I really wanted to begin with the Minelab CTX 3030 but that is an expense toy.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The title of this thread should be AT Pro in highly mineralized environments.. It's not the salt water that creates any issues
Ummm, and what is salt water again?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I hunt a difference of two inches in depth usually determines if I find something of value or get skunked when detecting in the water or on wet sand (salt water beaches).

On the Florida West coast beaches my AT PRO does good and is only 2 inches shallower than my CZ21, in the water and wet sand...In some other states it may not work so well. I have to run in standard mode or it falses, but there is nothing wrong with running in standard mode. People that have trouble using the AT on Florida beaches just havent figured out how to set it up. Its not the best saltwater detector but it does quite well in the Florida surf.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am going to find out. I just ordered one from Kellyco and will be hunting nearly exclusively in the salt waters of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I thought long and hard about other units but read enough positive about salt surf hunting with the AT Pro to take the plunge. I had a long talk with Rusty from Garret, a very nice guy. He gave me some pointers on salt water use. We both have some hearing loss and he has trouble hearing some of the subtle high frequency changes of tone that may be necessary to mentally discriminate targets and likes a visual alert as well, I think I may have the same problem.
If I like the concept but want a better unit I will move to what I really wanted to begin with the Minelab CTX 3030 but that is an expense toy.

It's not a toy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread