Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Garrett AT PRO in SaltWater

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Keith Mooney -WP Member

Feb 2013
    New Jersey
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
    159 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay In NewKen View Post
    Mine falsed some at Myrtle (wet sand and and surf) but can't wait to give it another go next month in Jersey. Now that i got a decent scoop, I'm curious how it will perform there. Def prefer the stock coil over the 5x8 at the beach.
    Good luck what beach are you hitting
    WOLFPACK MEMBER FOR LIFE

us
    Jun 2012
    New Kensington, Pa
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
    132 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by NJnuggetpirate View Post

Good luck what beach are you hitting
    Its a family vacation and we're about a block from the beach in Sea Isle City. Taking the lil'250 for family members to hit the dry sand with. I welcome the company.

us
    May 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
    337 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    In Jersey my AT works great in the dry and wet sand. However it will false in Ventnor and AC. Clean quiet in Ocean City, Avalon, and Stone Harbor. All depends on the black sand so more time than not I use the PI. However I am getting too old for all the digging. But that machine talks to me after 15 years.

Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NJcigarman View Post
    In Jersey my AT works great in the dry and wet sand. However it will false in Ventnor and AC. Clean quiet in Ocean City, Avalon, and Stone Harbor. All depends on the black sand so more time than not I use the PI. However I am getting too old for all the digging. But that machine talks to me after 15 years.
    Hi NJcigarman, I am contemplating an AT Pro purchase. I plan to use it mainly in the AC/Ventnor areas. Do you think there is some sort of EMI happening at those beaches? Is the falseing to the point that it is unusable or merely annoying?

Mar 2015
    122 times
    It falses abit in saltwater, you have to run it low ..... But once you get the hang of it you could find something like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428664687.733297.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	1144686

Found last year using a garrett at pro

May 2012
    5761 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    The title of this thread should be AT Pro in highly mineralized environments.. It's not the salt water that creates any issues

Aug 2015
    Well I am going to find out. I just ordered one from Kellyco and will be hunting nearly exclusively in the salt waters of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I thought long and hard about other units but read enough positive about salt surf hunting with the AT Pro to take the plunge. I had a long talk with Rusty from Garret, a very nice guy. He gave me some pointers on salt water use. We both have some hearing loss and he has trouble hearing some of the subtle high frequency changes of tone that may be necessary to mentally discriminate targets and likes a visual alert as well, I think I may have the same problem.
    If I like the concept but want a better unit I will move to what I really wanted to begin with the Minelab CTX 3030 but that is an expense toy.

us
    Nov 2013
    Long Island
    CTX 3030, Xp Deus, That's it, I'm done.
    2251 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorBoy View Post
    The title of this thread should be AT Pro in highly mineralized environments.. It's not the salt water that creates any issues
    Ummm, and what is salt water again?
    penzfan, Sandman and Redraider2002 like this.

Jul 2012
    512 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Where I hunt a difference of two inches in depth usually determines if I find something of value or get skunked when detecting in the water or on wet sand (salt water beaches).

Quote Originally Posted by lookindown View Post
    On the Florida West coast beaches my AT PRO does good and is only 2 inches shallower than my CZ21, in the water and wet sand...In some other states it may not work so well. I have to run in standard mode or it falses, but there is nothing wrong with running in standard mode. People that have trouble using the AT on Florida beaches just havent figured out how to set it up. Its not the best saltwater detector but it does quite well in the Florida surf.
    Last edited by Sir Gala Clad; Aug 19, 2015 at 09:37 PM.

Jul 2012
    512 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickivens View Post
    Well I am going to find out. I just ordered one from Kellyco and will be hunting nearly exclusively in the salt waters of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I thought long and hard about other units but read enough positive about salt surf hunting with the AT Pro to take the plunge. I had a long talk with Rusty from Garret, a very nice guy. He gave me some pointers on salt water use. We both have some hearing loss and he has trouble hearing some of the subtle high frequency changes of tone that may be necessary to mentally discriminate targets and likes a visual alert as well, I think I may have the same problem.
    If I like the concept but want a better unit I will move to what I really wanted to begin with the Minelab CTX 3030 but that is an expense toy.
    It's not a toy!

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1315 times
    Metal Detecting
    I haven't had any depth problems. It will find stuff deeper than I am usually willing to dig.

Yes it chatters a little but it's pretty obvious when it hits a real target.

For me, it's a great machine. It does everything I need it to do. I've been hunting primarily in salt water since I got it and I rinse it each time. I have had no corrosion problems, no leaks, and I've dug some pretty deep holes in wet sand and in the water. I like being able to decide when I get to the beach if I'm going to hunt dry sand or in the water without needing to bring two detectors.

All beaches are different though and how it performs depends on the beach. I did hunt one beach and was getting frustrated because it had me digging a bunch of holes and I was finding nothing in them ... until I discovered the beach was covered in tiny little rust flakes from a sunken barge. Once I figured out how they sounded (they changed from a high tone to an iron tone as soon as you start to dig them) I avoided them for the rest of the night. That would have driven me nuts on a PI machine with poor discrimination... like a sea hunter or something. I don't discriminate though, I just learn the sounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deep1.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	906.6 KB 
ID:	1201347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deep.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	864.0 KB 
ID:	1201348  
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Aug 19, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Apr 2013
    Debary, FL
    Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Excalibur II Garrett pin pointer,vibra tector 730
    48 times
    I have used my AT PRO in saltwater over the past 2 years probably over 100 times. I don't have any issues with corrosion. However, I do wash it with freshwater very good along with everything else that i take near saltwater! HAPPY HUNTING

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4695 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Gala Clad View Post
    Where I hunt a difference of two inches in depth usually determines if I find something of value or get skunked when detecting in the water or on wet sand (salt water beaches).
    Thats why I use my CZ21 at the beach.

us
    Jul 2014
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    129 times
    I was curious about this topic as well as I Just took my AT PRO with a NEL coil set up on a Caribbean Cruise in March 2019 (I did not even bring my stock coil along). I hunted both on the beach and in the saltwater. As expected I had to adjust my ground balance and turn my sensitivity down a bit in both the Bahamas and Cozumel, but I am so glad I brought it along on the adventure as it preformed very well. The proof is in the pudding.
    (The 14k men's ring is my favorite! it will be tough for me to top that this year)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190303_131337.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1701685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_120427.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	1701686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190327_185428.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	1701687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190303_150228.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	1701688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190303_192557.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	1701689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190312_135749.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1701690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190312_184726.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	878.7 KB 
ID:	1701691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190308-102105_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	876.7 KB 
ID:	1701693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190312_135841.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	1701695

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    22083 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Well done great post
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links