Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After hunting for 6 solid days at night, I'm finally done. Tonight was the latest I could stay up. These low tides just get later and later in the morning, and tonight the low tide was at 2:45am.... and that's my limit. I just can't effectively hunt for an hour or two before low tide and still hunt after that.... this old body just can't hang I guess. :laughing9:

So tonight my son and I went back to the same beach where I scored that 18K ring yesterday. We arrived early and hunted about 2 hours before the lowest tide. That meant we had to wade in shin deep water, but I'm not complaining.

Scored me a nice looking ring within the first 45 minutes... but it's a silver one. I was really hoping for a white gold, but as soon as I pulled it from the scoop, it was just too light to be anything good.

I didn't really rack up the yen tonight, but still came in above average.

The highlight was seeing my son yank some yen from the ground. He also found a nice looking gold hoop earring, but later testing proved that it was a junker. I think he's really getting the hang of that Sea Hunter, as he's getting more and more money every time it seems, and today was his first real piece of jewelry... abiet a fake piece.

So here's my loot for the night:

3,086 yen $41
2 silver rings
1 earring
key chain

001-9.jpg

002-8.jpg

And my son's booty for the night....

830 yen $11
2 fake earrings

003-7.jpg

Thanks for stopping by to take a look... maybe next week when the tides roll back around I'll be out again. Until then my T-net peeps :hello:

Upvote 0

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
always entertaining ... :icon_thumleft:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are any of these coins worth anything on the local economy and how do you spend them ?

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
TORRERO said:
are any of these coins worth anything on the local economy and how do you spend them ?

It's not uncommon around here to go to dinner and pay with ONE coin from your pocket... and get change back :D
The coinage system here in Japan is pretty fabulous... nothing akin to the US, which makes it a very profitable hobby around here.
So to answer your question... Yes... these coins are the exact same coins circulating in society today... just dirty (see below)

I have a multi-step process that cleans these coins to almost new condition. I can go from those crusty dirty coins like this:
008.jpg

To looking like these in about 24 hours or so.
002-9.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-7.jpg

Some coins take more time obviously, and some have been in the salt water a loooong time... and have a lot of pitting on them. There's nothing I can do about that, but they're spendable just the same.

Here's last nights batch working in the first phase:
006-2.jpg

You can already see that most of the green corrosion is gone and now it's loosening the harder under layer of scale. I'll flip these over in a bit and start pulling out the ones that are done and start the last step on those.

Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread