Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am sure it is under 1 pound in weight. Those tiny spearguns dont have much range, maybe 2-3 feet at most. Plus the tiny spear has very little mass(weight) and cant go far and have enough punch to kill or go through a fish.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
I am sure it is under 1 pound in weight. Those tiny spearguns dont have much range, maybe 2-3 feet at most. Plus the tiny spear has very little mass(weight) and cant go far and have enough punch to kill or go through a fish.
Stevemc is correct. You may want to check a spearfishing form if you need info.
spearfishing.com
spearboard.com
hope this helps.
did you find a speargun while metal detecting?

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks stevemc and tarpom192, From what you say. This will not work for me. I want something small that will launch a 1.1 pound grappling hook.
about 20 ft. I wanted to find something, that could be modified.

Clayton

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Underwater or out of the water?

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadquest said:
Out of the water.
Don't think this is the right place for your question.
Are you planning to go jihad?

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol no, It's related to a land project, I'm working on
I'm hoping stevemc, may have an idea.
I didn't know where to post this question. And knew it
wouldn't hurt to post here. you guys, have already gave me some of the info. I needed.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any speargun, including that tiny one you asked about will launch a 1 pound hook more than 20 feet out of the water. Most likely more than 100 feet. Hold on to it hard though, it will kick back when shot out of the water. It also depends on the weight of the line. You would need light line, like spectra. The bigger the gun, the heavier the spear and the more power you can put on it. Dont go with the tinest gun you can find, but it might work for what you need.

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place I will be using it, is very confined space. That's the reason for needing something that I
know will work. Yet be as small as possable. Once in, I will need the line and hook to climb out. the line
will need to be able to hold at 145 lbs. I have no problem hand climbing ( pulling, lifting my own body weight )
I'm going to check the spectra line now. Thanks for the info. If you have any other ideas on this. i would like to know them.

clayton

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah this has nothing to do with beach detecting, but I am sure this is the first time anything like this has been talked about anywhere here. Back to spectra line, it can be found with enough pound test to hold your weight, but you have to have line that will be able to hold on to-thin line cant do that. I would use assenders. They clamp on the line and have ratchets that allow you to slide them up the line and climb up. Slide one, then slide the other, repeat, till you are up. I used to do a lot of rappeling and traversing etc. The assenders will have a loop of webbing that hangs down about 2-3 feet, you put a foot in each loop, and the assenders are one on top of each other. Put the weight on one loop, slide the other one up. I used a line that was about 3/8ths of an inch solid braid, maybe 1/2 inch. The only other easy way to do it would be have a line with loops that you can put your feet in and climb out. To have a line that you just climb out hand over hand would have to be at least 3/4 of an inch thick or more. You cant hang on a 1/8th inch line. Barely a 1/2 inch line. I used to climb a rope that was probably an inch and a half thick, but I am sure there is no spear gun that could lift that rope up.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why not just buy a thick rope and tie it off before you go in, and bring the tag end with you paying out rope (rode) as you go.
does not make much sense to go in and the shoot something out to climb back up :icon_scratch:.

do you know who overkill is? he may have a good answer for you if you can find him on here.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you know who overkill is? he may have a good answer for you if you can find him on here.

Now that is true comedy!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions