Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Any one give me info on the Sunspot Stealth scoop ..Good ..Strong. for the great lakes....? They have the 8 inch and the 6.5 inch... I will go for the 6.5 one the smaller one... When you get up in years you go for less weight.......

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,132
Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best scoop made ( IMO).I have both 6.5 & 8,Great people to do business with also, :tongue3:

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love mine. Had it about 6 months or so. Tough as nails, built to last. I got the bigger one though, but the smaller one will be built with the same quality. My buddy has the smaller one and he likes it so far.

Here's mine tricked out with some various grip tape

001-6.jpg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Remember this type is not one you can force through the ground like a RTG solid stainless one. You have a different digging style. You push it in while the wood handle is angled, with your foot pushing, similar to the other type, and carefully, not levering the sand out, lift the wood handle straight up. You dont put much lever force on the handle like the other type. Sort of finesse it up. I know guys who use them, and had to get used to them from the other type, after breaking this type. The 8" one is a great scoop though. They do seem to excel in rocky bottoms. The wood handle always floats upright.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They do have a safety yellow handle made of aluminum that might be stronger than the wood handle.......and it weight's 3/4 pound lighter than the wood handle....

Attachments

• hybrid-handle.jpg
    hybrid-handle.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 637

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Scoop!!! I have the 8 inch and couldn't be more happy with it. Rarely need to take a second scoop with it to retrieve a target. Except on those deep targets. Very strong construction. I would recommend getting the optional handle as well. Makes lifting a full bucket of wet sand a snap. I'd say go for it and get yourself one immediately!!! You won't be disappointed.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
stevemc said:
Remember this type is not one you can force through the ground like a RTG solid stainless one. You have a different digging style. You push it in while the wood handle is angled, with your foot pushing, similar to the other type, and carefully, not levering the sand out, lift the wood handle straight up. You dont put much lever force on the handle like the other type. Sort of finesse it up. I know guys who use them, and had to get used to them from the other type, after breaking this type. The 8" one is a great scoop though. They do seem to excel in rocky bottoms. The wood handle always floats upright.

That is what I'm doing wrong! I'm sure glad I read alot, now I know why I'm killing my shoulder and elbow with my scoop. I can't wait to try lifting it straight up instead of trying to lift that load out without losing anything in the scoop. I had thought I needed a smaller scoop or had to start working out again.... Got to love this forum!

Cliff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried to use many scoops and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth as my go to scoop. I like the smaller one now since I don't have to fight the surf. The wood handle is straight up so you just lift it straght up instead of swinging it up which makes the wrist sore. I just lift in in little hops till I can look in the basket. I epoxyed two magnets near the small holes to stop any small items from going through the larger holes. This photo shows a earring stud caught near the smaller holes. Sunspot also makes a two pieces handle for traveling but I can't find the photo now.

Attachments

• Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 851
  • Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 607
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Sunspot also makes a two pieces handle for traveling but I can't find the photo now.
Here is the 2 piece handle........ And they also have a lift handle that goes on the reg handle.

Attachments

• 831.jpg
    831.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 333_th.jpg
    333_th.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,292

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Keppy

u need to take a serious look at the sunspot: STEALTH 8 "SS" (SugarSand)

they keep it hidden for some reason ........click on the Price List and it is down at the bottom.....Now that is a fine looking scoop. bit pricy, but i really like the looks of it.

sounds like short supply for now......check it out

f y i only

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordering Code : S3

Name : STEALTH 8 "SS" (SugarSand) without handle
Description : Same as our 8” STEALTH but with 749 ¼” holes. This scoop is ideal for areas with mostly fine sand. It picks up small items like earrings. The scoop comes with all hardware but no handle. We do not advise making your own handle. This is an experimental product and we only have a few. When these are sold, it will take about 1 year for the next batch since we must make them when we make the standard STEALTH 8.

The SS is in stock and ready to ship.

Price : $225

http://www.gold-scoop.com/prices-options.html

Attachments

• s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 491
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
GDMax ... I see what you mean with the 1/4 inch holes ..Thanks for the info....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread