Lost Wedding Band (Panama City Beach, FL)

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While visiting family in Panama City Beach this weekend I had a couple of hours to hunt the beach there. My son and I started hunting late in the afternoon on Friday and had only worked a short distance on the beach when we were approached by a young fellow who had just had his wedding band slip off his finger when he tried to catch a football while standing in the wet sand in the edge of the surf. He was in the motion of throwing his hands up to catch the ball when he said the ring came off. He believed it went backwards from where he was standing and into the water. I checked the probable area directly behind him in the water for about an hour and got several hits, mostly change and tops, but no ring. My son and I had to leave since we had family waiting on us. Afterwards, I thought I probably would have done better by standing exactly where the fellow had been standing when the ring came off and working a spiral from that point to include the dry sand since I now believe it was probable that the ring may have landed nearer to him at the edge of the water. I have the contact information for the fellow. The wedding band is White 14k and I didn't get the size but he was of average size so I would guess about an 11.

I marked the location by a landmark. It is at the Calypso Towers near the Pier at Panama City. Standing on the beach facing the towers, there an opening in the two towers. If you stand facing the opening, the location of the loss is on a line directly to the beach from the edge of the right tower to about the 8th row of windows in the right tower. That would be the starting point. I won't get to that area again until Christmas or New Years.

I promised the guy I would put this on our forum just in case any of you end up there in Panama City although I seldom see anyone on here hunting that area.

Thanks for reading.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks C dancer. I was caught up in the moment and the fellow was certain that the ring went in the water but he did not actually see that. He just felt that it did. I am now more inclined to think it didn't. I checked about a 25 square yard area directly behind where he said he was standing. The water there is fairly shallow. I was using my Minelab Elite with the electonics mounted up around my chest and 15 inch WOT coil. I worked a pretty disciplined grid. We all know how that goes. I could have missed it in the water but I was careful to be true to the overlap of my passes and went slow.

Good luck and thanks. There were no hunters in the area and lots of folks in the water. I didn't have my Infinium with me nor much time. I think the area is promising.

Jim

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well times changed there. I hunted there 2 time once in the water and once on land. I saw 5 people with detectors. One person with a Spectra v3 told me a man on 10/11 had found a ring just a plan wedding band. I think it is gone now sorry for the bad news.

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are probably right Sandnut and thanks. I have not been at my peak mental performance for about 2 months due to just plain feeling lousy and just wasn't thinking clearly the day I was asked to help. I wish I had thought more about where the obvious loss location would have been in lieu of where the guy thought it had gone. If he had been standing in the wet sand facing dry sand and threw his hands up to catch a ball, the major range of motion for his hands and arms for that move would have been toward his front for the ring to come off and not behind him as he thought. I believe now that he probably felt the air hit his finger where the ring was just after his arms went over his head and thought that would have been the point the ring came off but it would have more likely come of to his front toward the dry sand and then he would have had the "naked finger" sensation as his hand passed through the air just over his head.

Looks like we have talked our way into a new science of "blingflingology" which would be the study of jewelry being launched from a body in motion.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know. I will contact the fellow and let him know what you heard. Sometimes it is better to believe your lost item has been found and not returned than to continue to worry that it still is in place and you can still find it. I told the fellow that it would be very likely that someone would find it and either not attempt to find the owner or believe that they couldn't. I have found many a wedding band with not much of a chance to ID the owner. We all have. That is understandable.

Take Care.

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you Sir! I hope you get to feeling better real soon :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread