Question about Searching "underwater"

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
Question about Searching "underwater"

hello all,

I have a couple questions about searching underwater.

1. can you use a normal Metal Detector? (Mainly can I use one of mine, tecknetics t 2 or my Ace 250)
2. Do they make longer "Coil to control box" cords for these detectors?

I am curious about this because i live pretty much on the Santee River (less than 5mins away) and for years, my friend who frequents this river to fish hunt and so on, has discovered old Indian Canoes, Artifacts simply by looking around the old earth boat landing that they use.
Well, there are many of these old earth boats landings (earth landing= natural boat landing, no concrete or manmade structures). so I’m thinking what if i go and search about 1-2' deep around the edges around these landings? But wanted to ask these questions first, thanks for the help and sorry if this is a dumb obvious question :).

Upvote 0

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Question about Searching "underwater"

I have an Ace250 and you can get the coil wet. Do not get the controls wet! Where are you in SC? I am in Myrtle Beach.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot of us water hunters started with land detectors and floated the controls on an inner tube but we had long coil cables. Many of the older detectors could be hip mounted so we could carry them around our necks. I don't think the ACE 250 has any coils available that have the longer cables but you can check Garrett's website. Why not get a Fisher 1280 as it has a proven track record. Even using the 250 in the water you have to be careful not to ever raise the coil above the controls or water in the shaft can get in the controls. Good Luck.

Sandman

OP
OP
C

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011

thanks Sandman,ramfan.

Im in Bonneau up by the Lake, about 2hrs from MB.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread