Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The tide ran pretty low tonight and decided to hit an old favorite of mine. My son Kendall and I were in the water by 10:30pm ... about an hour before low tide.

The water was pretty low when we arrived and I started right where the water hits the beach. I scored about 700 yen ($9) in the first 20 minutes, so things were definitely looking up. I concentrated the next 30 minutes in the shallows.. hoping for a fresh drop or two... and hunted the length of the beach a few laps, gradually getting deeper and deeper. I scored a few hundred more yen during that time, but nothing I was really hoping for.

Kendall stayed at the very back of the swimming area in one particular spot for a long time. I assumed he was doing pretty good so I left him alone and didn't check on him for a long time. He's been gradually getting the hang of detecting, and his finds have been improving in quality... but he's been really struggling to find some of the 'good stuff'.

His last outing netted him his first ring... but it was just a junk kids ring. I told him, "You're getting the hang of it, so pretty soon you'll find a real good silver one". My hopes were that, tonight, he would do just that.

The night wore on, and eventually I went to check on Kendall to see how he was doing. Having dug a junker ring and one silver ring, I was thinking that tonight was the night for my son, and I was right. He scored his first silver ring! And not only that, it tipped the scale at 10 grams. And since he cracked the silver barrier, he also found a broken silver bracelet too!

His mystery find was this nice looking coin pouch.

025.jpg

026.jpg

I left him to hunt, and I took off in a new direction to work in. I was digging a lot of trash in my previous spot and decided to move more shallow.

Proceeding along I get this one crappy sounding signal in waist deep water. "Crappy" in that it could literally be a junk target that the excal was trying to null on, or "Crappy" sounding because it's so deep. Usually one good scoop of the Sunspot will tell me the difference, so after doing that, I hear the sound improving. One more scoop had it out of the sand and rocks.

Pulling the shells and rock matrix from the scoop, the red light hits a shiny silver looking ring.... TINY... I immediately hit the white light on, because everything seems to look silver in the red light. I was hoping to see that yellow in the scoop, but alas, it was still silver looking. But I knew I had something special... 2 scoops of a 8" Sunspot???? That bugger was DEEP, yet, it came from the salt water looking that new?

On closer inspection, I see the mark...

023.jpg

We wrap it up and head home about 30 minutes later. The plundering was good tonight. :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Here's the Booty:

3,696 yen ($49)
Junk earring
Junk pendant ( I was really hoping this was silver )
silver ring
small Pt900/18k ring (3grams)
3 US nickels

021-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

My son had a banner night... having found more yen on this hunt than any previous hunts.

His take looked like this:

2,023 yen $27
broken silver bracelet
silver ring
coin purse

The coin purse proved to be full of 1 and 5 yen coins. It had 2 keys in it as well, but it's soaking in a chemical bath to seperate the coins. They were all corroded together and everything looked horrible. Our hopes were dashed as we didn't score any hidden loot. I think his yen count might come up another 200 yen if we're lucky. Time will tell.
027.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and having a look. :hello:

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platinum has eluded me. Heck, at this point I'd be happy with silver.

Nice haul!

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks guys. I really wish the Japanese had fat fingers. That platinum ring won't fit my pinky toe... :laughing9: I'm not lying... I tried... seriously

Soup

Sep 26, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Very nice Nate. Good to hear your son did good also. I did not go out last nite, I went to bed instead. Long week ahead and have been feeling so tired as of late. I might go out tonight though. Grats on the finds..

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like y'all had a great time! Wish my son was interrested like yours but girls and friends take up his time. Congrats to your son and yourself on a wonderful time out! :thumbsup:

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Oh yea very nice. Gotta love the beach!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins said:
Thanks guys. I really wish the Japanese had fat fingers. That platinum ring won't fit my pinky toe... :laughing9: I'm not lying... I tried... seriously

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I can only imagine what that looked like!! Congrats to you both...a good hunt.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread