New to Savannah, GA - Whats the MD regulations for beaches?

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to Savannah, GA - What's the MD regulations for beaches?

Hello There,

I just moved to Savannah, GA and I am interested in finding out what the rules are for MD'ing at the beaches down here. Back in NY we had to carry a MD permit, which I had, and I want to do it right here as well.

Also, I am up to meeting any locals for hunts and to get to know the area.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Chris

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New to Savannah, GA - What's the MD regulations for beaches?

I've detected Tybee Island several times. Never had a problem even when the beach patrol rode by. Go,have fun.HH

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lidigger, good luck out there.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I presume you are referring to Tybee as it was always marketed as weekend retreat for residents of Savannah. Before you "dig" in, be sure to visit the historical society's museum across from the Light Station in an old WW2 bunker. You'll get an idea of the history of the island and learn that some of the out of the way beaches might yield the best results. You don't need any special permits just common courtesy (filling in your holes, etc.).

One thing that you will learn is that there is no respite from the parking and their costs. You would almost be better off parking away from the town center and riding a bike to the beach.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigginThePast said:
Off topic/political comments removed. We do have a Politics Board for those so inclined: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,1052.0.html

lidigger: Sorry I can't help with your question but sounds like s.c.shooter has some useful info. Others may come along also.
Thank you. :icon_thumleft:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown said:
DigginThePast said:
Off topic/political comments removed. We do have a Politics Board for those so inclined: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,1052.0.html

lidigger: Sorry I can't help with your question but sounds like s.c.shooter has some useful info. Others may come along also.
Thank you. :icon_thumleft:

DITTO!
lidigger,
Check with the County authorities as well as City. When I was in Charleston, SC the county parks were off limits except for the beach areas at the small lakes. Most parks were posted with rules. There was an instance when one of the local club members got hooked up for digging in a park. large fine, seized detector and they even threaten to seize his vehicle. When I lived in TN I would scan the classifieds for houses for sale by owner. Those are the folks I would call and ask permission to hunt their property if the house had any age to it. There are some old places within the city limits of Savannah. Good Luck.

OP
OP
lidigger

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

(I don't think my other post went through, so here goes again...)

Hey All,

I got a chance to head out to Tybee today for my first hunt. The weather was overcast, but the overall temperature made being at the beach a joy. I met a Treasure Net member by the name of Larry, who was on vacation from Kentucy. We stop and chatted for a bit and as with other members of this forum, I found it a delightful conversation. What a great hobby we have.

So my total take today was $.41, some pulltabs and a couple rusty tent spikes. Subtract my parking fees of around $4.00 and it may not have seemed to have been such a great day. That said, any time at the beach is a good time for me and I might just head down there tomorrow for another round of exercise. I will have to buy the annual parking permit for Tybee, which runs around $100, because it is easy to loose track of time here and at $1.50 per hour of parking, it will be a cheaper route.

I'd like to thank all for their responses. I hope to meet with some local MD'ers at Tybee one day, or at the local MD group. And yes, as always I did fill in my holes AND took anything I found off the beach with me. I was surprised to find that although other hunter's holes were filled, it was obvious that the unwanted finds - pulltabs, beer caps, etc. were just left sitting next to the holes. I may be the newbie here, but if we all pitch in, we'll have a cleaner and safer beach as well as have less crap targets that we'll find again later.

Chris

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800

Only thing wrong in Tybee is the parking Meter's. I believe it is free to park after 6 or 7 PM. Also the Pier area has some good lights at night. I was there for One evening last year , just to see it the Beach had any cuts. Back in the early 1980s, I know of a couple that found over 1 pound of Gold Ring at Tybee. Just look for a Good N.Easter for a few Days. Good Luck--goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions