For anyone interested in old tokens.....found one on an old beach yesterday

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a short hunt yesterday at an old beach.

Hunted a steep cut in dry sand area ( construction in progress), and found 4 "wheaties" , an old key, and a NYC Transit Authority token ( 16mm / 1953)

Here's a couple of pics

and here's some info on the token ( excerpt from a web site article)

Thanks for looking at my post

Lorraine

RELATIVE NEWCOMER

The token is so closely identified with New York that most people do not realize that the subway system carried New Yorkers for 49 years before it acquired its own currency. For 44 years it cost a five cents to ride a bus or subway and all riders needed to get on board was a nickel. When the fare rose to 10 cents in 1948, the city refit the turnstiles to accept dimes.

But just as technology would eventually doom the token, technological limits created it. In 1953, when the fare rose to 15 cents, engineers could not figure out how to make a turnstile operate with a dime and nickel or three nickels. To solve the problem, they devised their own 15-cent currency.

Those first small tokens set the pattern that would become world-famous. On one side was the legend "Good for One Fare," on the other "New York City Transit Authority." In the center were the letters "NYC" with the "Y" cut out.

That token lasted 17 years, surviving a fare hike to 20 cents, and thousands probably remain squirreled away as keepsakes. Tens of thousands of New Yorkers who reached manhood in the 1950s and 1960s can still recall receiving one of those little tokens in the envelope with their draft notices to make it easy for them to report to the induction center

Attachments

• DSCF0937.JPG
    DSCF0937.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSCF0939.JPG
    DSCF0939.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,149
Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find especially for the water. As a dirt digger i dig tokens up on occasion also get the state tax tokens.

Dew

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Lorraine! I got one of those out at Jones Beach this summer, and had no idea it was from the 60's-70s! :thumbsup:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that history Lorraine, thanks for sharing the info. Use to live in N.Y. late 60's, early 70's. Watched the World Trade be built while I lived there. Good hunt! :thumbsup:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great stuff Lorraine, keep at it love those construction cuts!

OP
OP
Lorrain.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried Crap NJ said:
Great stuff Lorraine, keep at it love those construction cuts!

Yup..I've been back. Found an antique teaspoon "Meriden Silver Plate Co".

The Company was founded in Meriden , Ct in 1869. During the 1890's it merged with other silver companies to form International silver Co.

The merging companies were allowed to keep their own stamping on the items.

I cleaned it up just to get a better look at the pattern "SEA WINGS" ( circa 1956)

Will be going back to see what I missed...hope it will be something silver or gold this time :icon_sunny:

Here's a couple of pics

Attachments

• DSCF0942.JPG
    DSCF0942.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 819
  • DSCF0948.JPG
    DSCF0948.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 840
OP
OP
Lorrain.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I agree, I noticed it was an Old Ford Key, I have a few in my Collection

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread