recipe for cleaning coins

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Hi everyone..... this year has been the pits for me but I've started hunting again now and was just about to start cleaning some of my dirty coins. I cannot find the "recipe" for cleaning them. Does anyone else have it? It used to be white vinegar, fish tank rocks, mean green cleaner....... can't remember the whole thing. Oh I know I can clean them one at a time but I would rather throw them in a tumbler and clean a bunch all at once. Does anyone remember it?

Upvote 0

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yes, all I use is white vinegar in the tumbler with the natural color aquarium stones for about an hour....and do the pennies separate from the clad coins....

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back, Mumzie. I have found the best cleaner is the Coin star machine. Just drop them in and you'll be surprised how few get rejected. Not sure how it works on saltwater crud but lemon juice cleans up crusty pennies well.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back , Mumszie..missed you !

I recently tried "Mr. Clean" diluted with water in my coin tumbler for pennies...I was pleasantly surprised to see them come out shiny and looking like new.

Lorraine

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome back!! We've missed you. Swinging a metal detector is the only thing that keeps me sane when the stress hits. I was sorry to hear about your husband.

I use a tumbler and cream of tartar for quarters, dimes and nickels. Dawn or Ivory Snow for pennies although I've been known to throw in some vinegar. Since my pennies get donated to a penny war-feed the hungry drive-I try to get the dirt off before hauling them in.

Magjm

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed your input, glad to see you back Mumszie!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Mumszie.

I use dish soap, aquarium gravel and some vinegar.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Wanda!!! Good to see you posting on here again, your presence was missed :hello: HH from NC :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
That's it! The missing ingredient! cream of tartar! I just couldn't remember. **sigh** Thanks everyone for the replies and the info. I am not hunting full time yet but I am getting back into it. I am headed out this morning to my least favorite place... CWB. Oh how I hate that place but.... like you all know my daughter loves it. Ah well... who knows????? Maybe this time I will actually find something down there. Catch you later. ::)

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Okay, I have used Cream of Tartar in making fluffy white cake frosting, (yes I bake some times), but what is the purpose of using it to clean the coins?? Does it act as an abrasive or what???

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I have used a number of different recipes over the years and I have found the simplest way is to throw in a soap pad like Brillo or a cheap store brand. This added to a little water and gravel will clean and polish the coins without any additional expense. Also, the polishing effect will prevent the clad from turning the nickles pink if you tumble them together.

Russ

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SusanMN said:
Welcome back, Mumzie. I have found the best cleaner is the Coin star machine. Just drop them in and you'll be surprised how few get rejected. Not sure how it works on saltwater crud but lemon juice cleans up crusty pennies well.

:p Absolutely!

davolker

Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning Coins

:p Absolutely!

I use a rock tumbler with a little laundry detergent and water and BB's and roll them for about an hour then I rinse them out and if they still aren't clean maybe another half hour to an hour with clean water and detergent with the BB's. Make sure you dry the BB's afterwards so they don't rust and you can reuse them. They should be nice and clean without destroying any patina of the coins. Use the silver BB's or you can get stainless steel ballbearings 3/16 should work but you are going to pay a lot more. Like Laundry keep your Nickel/Silver coins out of the copper coins they will stain the Nickel/Silver coins.

Last edited:

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I have used Cream of Tartar in making fluffy white cake frosting, (yes I bake some times), but what is the purpose of using it to clean the coins?? Does it act as an abrasive or what???

Mildly acidic?
I've read you can substitute cream of tartar in recipes with a small amount of vinegar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread