Sunspot Stealth issues.... ever see one do this?

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought the large Sunspot about 4 months ago, and honestly, it's one tough mamma jamma. However, during last nights hunt, I see it finally giving in to the abuse I put it through. But I have to say that I'm not the only one really putting this exact same scoop through the ringer either, and those people have their scoops for YEARS... so I'm at a loss.

007-6.jpg

008-4.jpg

I'm using this scoop in Okinawa, Japan... and while there are some beaches that have some nice 'fluffy' sand that just sifts right through the scoop... most of MY beaches are packed with rocks. Actually, they're packed in so tightly that you sometimes think that someone mortared them in that way. Some of the beaches I hunt are a mixture of dense packed sand mixed with the occasional larger rock, but mostly it's a bunch of coral and rocks.

So to say that I put this scoop to the test would be an understatement. I really work it. But I also know that it's tough on a scoop, so I really try to take my time when it comes to getting the scoop out of the ground when it has a big mouthful.

It comes down to this... has anyone else had this issue?
And if so, what did you do?
Is there a better scoop that can really take MY kind of beaches?
Or should I just buy a new scoop every 4-6 months. I love this scoop, and God knows I'm finding enough money to pay for em.

Your thoughts please...

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you need a very large pry bar insted of a scoop. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
After seeing what I did to this scoop, I'm beginning to think the same thing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saying your abusing the scoop is an understatement. The bend you are getting on this basket is from excessive force on pulling on the handle when it is against a rock. Ease up a might on it. The Sunspot stealth is the best and one of the alum scoops would not last you half the time.

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sandman said:
Saying your abusing the scoop is an understatement. The bend you are getting on this basket is from excessive force on pulling on the handle when it is against a rock. Ease up a might on it. The Sunspot stealth is the best and one of the alum scoops would not last you half the time.

Actually, when I know I'm wedged against a large object (like a big chunk of reef) or a large boulder, I try to ease up. Most times it's just a larger rock that starts to come loose.

When I get into a dense packed rocky area, it's a beast to even get the scoop to bite anything. Between wiggling side to side, kicking on the foot plate, and the 'front to back' motion on the handle, I can get it to bite somewhat, but I have to get the rocks and crap out of the hole if I'm to find the target, so some level of prying on rocks is to be expected.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think any scoop would hold up well to that area. But I would suggest, and I have done this before.... that you bang the scoop back in place and weld a piece of 3/16 (5mm) angle SS from front to rear to stiffen the scoop. And it has to be angle stainless steel or channel, flat bar will give..........I do think that will solve the problem...and you may want to flatten the angle as it goes toward the front of the scoop..Only problem I see after that maybe breakng the handle, but like Cotton said, the pry bar would be the best....

Attachments

• stainless_steel_angle_013_782_268(1).jpg
    stainless_steel_angle_013_782_268(1).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,645

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
OldeBeechnut said:
I don't think any scoop would hold up well to that area. But I would suggest, and I have done this before.... that you bang the scoop back in place and weld a piece of 3/16 (5mm) angle SS from front to rear to stiffen the scoop. And it has to be angle stainless steel or channel, flat bar will give..........I do think that will solve the problem...and you may want to flatten the angle as it goes toward the front of the scoop..Only problem I see after that maybe breakng the handle, but like Cotton said, the pry bar would be the best....

You beat me to it ! (and only by seconds. lol) Weld it on with the two edges securely welded along the bottom on either side of the scoops "spine". Should stiffen 'er up quite a bit. You could go the extra bit and have the welder make an "L" that would go part way up the back side of your handle as well and extend BEYOND the pointed end of the scoop. That way when your prying rock, or kicking it in under a rock, almost none of the load would be on the scoop itself............

Diggem'

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say when they said MAN UP you brought it lol. Looks like some tuff diggin. I could tell right away when i seen the scoop..... ROCKS.

Dew

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I like the angle SS idea, but I'm fearful that it's going to really weigh the thing down even more than it already is. I did, however, have this thought:

Weld in some strong stainless steel round stock in the seams like this. It wouldn't have to be large rod... something strong and small... 1/8" maybe?

008-5.jpg

This will add a little weight obviously, but not a tremendous amount... PLUS it will reinforce it in the areas that I had issues. Prying rocks in my part of the world is a harsh reality.

On a side note, looking at their website I see this quote:

If you have a failure for any reason with your STEALTH during the first 3 years that you own it, just send it to us with a copy of your receipt and we will repair or replace it (our choice) at no charge. We will pay the return shipping cost. We NEVER blame the user for being too rough on the STEALTH.

I'm glad they're not blaming me on being too rough... cuz I CRUSHED it !!!

That said, I sent them an email, so we'll see how they handle it. Honestly, I don't have a back up to this one, so I'm hoping I can keep this one until either a new one arrives (and beat it down some more), or I'll just pony up some clams and buy a whole other one in addition to whatever they're going to do to repair or replace this one. I'd really like for them to reinforce the design... at least for my specific use.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, but when I go to a beach I just use a shovel with a short handle and hand grip.
If your not going into the water this works well for me.
Of course it would not work if your actually wading into the water.
A shovel you can just hammer out the tip, or for $15 get another one at the local hardware store.

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Oh no... I'm all about hunting in the water..... as deep as I can manage to go and still effectively dig. Most of the dry sand is pleasant to dig in.... it's the surf digging that sucks.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
BP, I would give the round bar a shot, but the angle is by far the strongest many times over. I would send it back and see what they can do for you. Sure sounds like they will cover all, Good Company if they do......I would see if they can do one in a heavier gauge stainless, maybe a 12 or even 10 gauge. I think the one you have is 14 gauge, standard for most scoops. Once a scoop is bent like that and you try to repair it, the metal is weakened by several things. First the forcing from one state to another, then if you heat and weld it, the weld area suffers something called (HAZ) heat-affected zone. You may just have to have a custom scoopmade for your area.....10 gauge monster

1/8" maybe?

more like 5/16's

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BP, C4 is fairly light and easily manipulated into the rocks. Use a slow burn fuse for the initiator, and be sure to lay down on the beach at least 50-meters away unless there is natural cover, because rocky beaches are notorious shrapnel chuckers. Please bury that scoop with full military honors.. :thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
BP, C4 is fairly light and easily manipulated into the rocks. Use a slow burn fuse for the initiator, and be sure to lay down on the beach at least 50-meters away unless there is natural cover, because rocky beaches are notorious shrapnel chuckers. Please bury that scoop with full military honors.. :thumbsup:
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: ;D ;D :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:

LOL, I would think det chord would be sufficient. Save the C4 for the big stuff.

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Sunspot Stealth ~ Possible Solution

Hello Nate,

I just got back from the Denver thing ;D

Sorry to hear about your setback.

Please see the image of what I think will solve your problem. If you want another Stealth, it will have this modification (this modification will not be for normal production) and I can send an extra metal blade which you can have welded in place locally.

I think this is the lightest "solution" possible.

I would like to see your pile of gold :hello:

Chuck

Attachments

• scoop reinforcement.jpg
    scoop reinforcement.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,206
OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I like it Chuck. I honestly don't see any scoop really holding up to all of the rocks and stuff that I work in around here. So the next best thing is to have something more rigid like what you're proposing.

I think Lyndia already sent out another scoop to replace this one, but what I'd like to do is order another 8" with this blade attachment. This way I'll have 2 scoops. But I'll need another blade for the one she just mailed out tho... Just shoot me a Paypal invoice for the new scoop.

Thanks Chuck... you're awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread