apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a Beachmaster 41 inch water scoop this week. I know this is a low-$$$ scoop, but I rarely have the ability at this point in my life to hit the beaches often (generally 3 times a year). So I wanted something I could use a few times per year, but not tie up a lot of money.

I do like the short length and light weight as I am one of those "short people that is a light weight."

Once concern I have is that the basket holes seem so large to me. When I pulled the scoop from the box, I went "dang" those holes are so large! I even ran into the house to find a dime to see if it would fall thru. It didn't. :laughing7:

I remember a T-net member adding some type of mesh covering on the bottom of the basket and magnets as well.

Thank you for any advice. I hope everyone finds a tad of yellow this week.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter was one of the guys that had a screen inserted into the bottom of his scoop. Most items we want to recover are dime sized or larger. Smaller items are caught by smaller holes but so are stones, clams, shells and what not which slows down the sifting of sand. Depending on the area you hunt, only you can tell which scoop to use. I like the Sunspot Stealth. The photo below shows a earring stud caught ahead of the magnets.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

If something falls through the larger holes you can recover it with the point and lift straight up to keep the basket level.

Attachments

• Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 977
  • Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    Sunspot Smaller.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 945

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
The larger holes will allow small fishing weights and stud earrings to slip thru, BUT in Galveston the sand is mucky, rocky, and does not drain well. Just insert some 1/4 inch galvanized chicken wire if you want to find the small stuff also. I do not recommend magnets. Why would you want to catch the bobby pins and nails? HH Gayle

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put some 1/4" galvanized screen in the bottom of mine(RTG Pro 6" Aluminum). cut to fit with tin shears and a couple zip ties. The magnet is a PI hunters saving grace. The magnet is not to catch the bobbypins etc because you want to keep them, but rather to keep you from having to search for them endlessly after they keep falling through your scoop. ::)

HH,
Aaron

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rsc said:
The larger holes will allow small fishing weights and stud earrings to slip thru, BUT in Galveston the sand is mucky, rocky, and does not drain well. Just insert some 1/4 inch galvanized chicken wire if you want to find the small stuff also. I do not recommend magnets. Why would you want to catch the bobby pins and nails? HH Gayle

These hairpins and nails must be removed so we don't waste time finding them again. By disc them out we could mask out a good target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread