where do coins and jewlery go when they are lost in the ocean???

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do coins and rings usually stay put when lost in the ocean/beach or do the move around allot with the wave action? Are they washed up on shore or do the get pulled out to deeper water? Wher do you find the most goodies?
I plan on doing more water hunts this winter and would like to make the most out of the time I will have.
Thanks for any info,
ZDD

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive read that post a couple of times before OBN, good post and information. I noticed he did not touch on SURFACE making a difference as well. Heavy gold ring had no surface and are significantly heavier than sand. Most all targets sink to their own equal weight unless something stops them. There are a lot of variables to water hunting im finding that out. What he said made a lot of sense.

Dew

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe most items in the water are moved by the wave action and tides. Similar weighted items are usually found in the same general area. An example is pennies and dimes may lie in one area while quarters and nickles lay in another. Heavier gold rings sink much deeper due to their specific gravity and the fact that they are not flat ( hole in center) and sink to much greater depths and stay there for longer periods of time. I do believe however that during very rough tides and wave action they do move and just like coins the accumulate in an area according to their density. An example is when there is a deep trough cut by the water action you will find several rings in it. One trough we found in one of the beaches several years ago produced 28 rings and another had 57. Sometimes in this cut you will also find several heavy fishing sinkers.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les West Central Fl said:
I believe most items in the water are moved by the wave action and tides. Similar weighted items are usually found in the same general area. An example is pennies and dimes may lie in one area while quarters and nickles lay in another. Heavier gold rings sink much deeper due to their specific gravity and the fact that they are not flat ( hole in center) and sink to much greater depths and stay there for longer periods of time. I do believe however that during very rough tides and wave action they do move and just like coins the accumulate in an area according to their density. An example is when there is a deep trough cut by the water action you will find several rings in it. One trough we found in one of the beaches several years ago produced 28 rings and another had 57. Sometimes in this cut you will also find several heavy fishing sinkers.

Yep! I also agree! I've seen softball sized stones pitched into yards and parking lots from good storms and boulders the size of trash cans tossed around in very strong hurricane type storms! Gold, silver and coins....... I feel over time they begin to settle in certain parts of the beach! A pooling effect, however a great storm could break the pool and spread the treasure out and start the settling process all over again! After a storm I seem to find the goods everywhere especially in the cuts!!! Just a rookies opinion!!

Snt

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with the last few posts about it all goes down, and that it will get moved by big storms. I have seen the sand moved and a rock or clay bottom will have lead weights, older coins, and of course gold. When the storm is hard enough, it will scour out the rock and clay bottoms and move everything. I have also seen beaches with rocky (not solid rock like above, but baseball to dinner plate sized rocks) bottom mixed with sand. These will hold the gold too. They are harder to get the rocks up, but worth it. Some areas will have sand with no rock or hardpan, and that is how much of the West coast of Florida is. Or at least a hardpan that is too deep to hit. Remember Florida is a delta formed from the erosion of the Appalachian mountains, so there is no natural rock, it was all sand at one time, just sedimentary rock like sand stone, and coral that formed. Those places the gold most likely goes down and dissapears. If you look at topo maps of lots of shorelines, you can see dunes that are inland, often rows of old dunes going way inland. Much of the panhandle of Florida and lower West Coast has islands like this. So some areas the beaches change by adding sand and going seaward, or eroding away and moving inland and some they dont do much for centuries. You must watch and be aware of erosion and moving of the sand. The sand being moved away could happen at any time. That is the best thing, to find an area of a lot less sand and near a hard bottom. And yes, coins will move a lot, because they have a large surface area to weight ratio. Rings will sink quicker. You can often find copper sheathing from old ships in with shells on the shore, around where old ships have wrecked. You usually wouldnt find heavy pieces with shells. That is why you find pull tabs and aluminum can parts in with shells. The copper is heavy, but when in a thin sheet, acts light. Coins still feel heavy, but catch the water and resist sinking more than a compact ring.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shell line that forms along the high tide mark on the beach has pennies in it, sometimes sitting on top of the shells. I never find rings or heavy items there. I have found rings along shell lines that were under water. In the water the hard bottom areas have the good tickets.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most seem to end up in the back of maxs pickup truck......

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic info here, I find coins on ship wrecks but they are usually cemented to the bottom and need to be chiseled out. Finding them in the surf or on the beach is new to me. I am sure I stand a much better chance at finding coins and rings now then I did a week ago. Thanks to everyone who posted.
Oh, and bootyhoundpa, where can I find maxs pickup truck? :laughing9: :laughing9:
ZDD

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi zodiacdave..... maxs pickup truck is in virginia......he usually posts great beach hunting videos on this exact website....at the end of his videos he always shows all his finds laid out in the back of a pickup truck......if you have not seen any of his videos you should watch them...they are very entertaining and informative at the same time........ i hope the day comes when i have to use a hammer and chisel to break up piles of old coins--thats cool....

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long time ago when I was in highschool we went to the Texas coast to study waves,etc. and our teacher had us tie balloons on different pieces of junk and put them in the water and see what happens to them.Some stay put and some went out with the waves. :icon_scratch:

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to jump in on this discussion, when I started diving with a detector 18 years ago the shop I purchased it from gave me a trick to find deposits of gold rings in lakes and rivers. I was instructed to purchase 20 or so lead fishing weights that were the same weight as an average gold wedding band, at the time I weighed my own and used that as a starting point and bought several weights. Then tie a 10' leader of fishing line to the weight and on the opposite end tie a piece of red cloth like a little flag. Proceed to your intended site and toss them off shore from the beach into the wave action or off of a bridge for a river. I was instructed to come back the following day with my dive gear and see how many of the little flags were visible. This served two purposes, one it told me the depth to the hard pan/bedrock and if it was in range of a detector and two the little flags were sometimes close to each other thus identifying a low spot that they all worked towards. Sometimes there were no flags at all :( other times they were at depths out of the reach of a recreational detector and occasionally they were nice and shallow. Rivers can be seeded any time of the year but lake beaches need to be done after Labor day when most are closing down for the season. I would say that 50% of the time a coin or piece of jewelery was recovered in the same vicinity. Now when I dive I look for fishing weights in the hard pan gravels and I almost always find coins, usually silver ones and the occasional piece of jewelery, as it has to be lost in the first place to be recovered.

I hope this helped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread