Location "Burning"

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Location "Burning"

Since taking up saltwater metal detecting, I have run up against several fellow detectorists who have either asked me - or warned me, not to post the locations of the beaches where I make my finds. Now mind you, I’m not burning old beach locations that someone has worked a long time to research and identify, I’m talking about beaches that City Buses take people to, and have these huge green signs with their very own exits off major highways. :laughing7:

My latest run-in with this phenomenon came today in the form of a Personal Message on a forum, and a private email (I don’t yet know if it is the same person, or two different folks). :dontknow: Both warned me not to mention a particular beach again, going as far as saying cars had been ‘keyed’ or badly scratched in the past, and I could end up with four flat tires if I continued to post about this beach. :help:

I’m no stranger to this, as I have been involved in gold prospecting and cache hunting since I was eight-years-old. :icon_pirat: I’ve seen guns drawn by lifelong friends on each other, fistfights, arsons, court battles, and yes, petty crap like scratching a guy’s truck or stabbing a tire. None of these however, happened over a public beach location. ???

I don’t know whether I should laugh or cry. Seriously now guys and gals – and I want to STRESS this, we are talking about PUBLIC BEACHES – with Public Transportation! Am I out of touch? Out of bounds? Should I stop posting about the places I hunt? :notworthy:

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Location "Burning"

I'd tell the moron to go f himself and invite him to a personal encounter with my foot.

Next, i'd expose his Name used (probably a fake)

And then I would apprise the admin of the problem, he can do an IP address check, and most likely nab the lowlife scumbag behind it.

The gutless cowards who engage in such behavior are nothing more than a keyboard cowboy and would never have the stones to say it to your face, and or accept your personal challenge of the encounter with your foot. Their just that -- cowards.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guys
I in no way threatened Terry lol. There are many here who lurk and never post. We all know that. There have been instances here in the city beaches though. Were talking NYC after all. Some beaches are very small. The older gaurd get territorial here. Trust me i found out the hard way. No one is threatening Terry from this forum. At least not from me :dontknow:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I've gotten a few shots on my video's on OC Maryland, Hunting the inlet area....mostly in a around about way, and the way I see it,... the people that make threats don't have enough confidence in there own hunting abilities. There is more to finding treasure then just knowing the beach..I'm with DGuru........
DGuru
I'd tell the moron to go f himself and invite him to a personal encounter with my foot.
:thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

some folks are just losers --they are territory "jerks" --like a spoiled 3 year old screaming --MINE,MINE,MINE -- it is a PUBLIC BEACH - fer crying out loud you morons what part of PUBLIC BEACH (as in it belongs to everyone / the public) DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? -- jez o petes. ever heard of freedom of speach?

pay the losers no mind terry.

get caught keying my car and see what occurs to yer sorry butts.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that in FL we have the castle doc tron witch means I can protect my self, my family, my home, and my car with deadly force. I think the Duke said" don't lay A hand on me or mine "

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

EZrider said:
Guys
I in no way threatened Terry lol. There are many here who lurk and never post. We all know that. There have been instances here in the city beaches though. Were talking NYC after all. Some beaches are very small. The older gaurd get territorial here. Trust me i found out the hard way. No one is threatening Terry from this forum. At least not from me :dontknow:

Rest "EZ!" I appreciate your heads up EZrider, and it does upset me that you experienced what you did. I don't take it lightly. I guess I'm just confused as to where this hoard of beach detectorists is going to appear from. Do they stalk the forums and then swarm the beaches named by ill-informed noobs, like locusts at harvest time? At the beach in question, if you put a detectorist every 30-feet, there would be close to 4,000 of them. So, what are we talking? A "hoard" of 15-20 guys with water machines? Heavens to Betsy, there goes the neighborhood! :laughing7:

synthnut

Mar 8, 2010
Nyack NY

Not being from the area, I have been on many NY beaches and have had folks come up to me checking me out and letting me know who's beach I was on ........ This IS a very territorial area , and many here tend to keep it this way ...... A "heads up " to what the area is like , and how things run in NYC , is not a threat ..... It's a heads up and nothing more ......Jim

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I carry 2 - yes 2 guns with me at all times when detecting. Last year I went back to my truck just at the right time to see a guy break my window as I walked up the beach access. He had a steel bar in his hand - I held him at the spot (right next to the driver side door which he just broke the window), and called the police. The guy was so scared he was crying, and begging. I told the dispatcher I was holding a guy with a steel bar who just broke my window in my truck at gunpoint. The police arrived in under a minute - 4 separate cars. They searched, and arrested him. The police found all kinds of stuff on him, and told me that the steel bar was a weapon, and I was within my rights.
This happened in Florida.
Be safe out their - times are changing, and not for the good.
I wish I had my GO-PRO on my hat to video him. The look on his face --- PRICELESS......

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

watch out for the famous -- oh ,I see youse found my wedding band -- now give it to me or esle I'll call da cops routine. --its a NY classic beach scam -- ask them the rings size , his or hers , color white or yellow gold or if it's silver and "k" or purity % and the "writing" engraved in it & make them "put it on size wize" to check for fit --even if theres no markings there just to to trip em up.,when the cops show up if they got the stones to call em. :thumbsup:

plumabob

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2003

Hi Terry,

Lots of guys like to post their finds and that is their choice. However here in NY detecting at STATE PARKS requires a permit which states any item with a value in excess of $20.00 must be turned in to lost and found. Now we all know that not many do this or maybe are not even aware of this law, but why take a chance that someone from the state happens to stumble on your post and looks into it. I'm certain there are a lot of guys that don't even carry permits.

Not many remember, but there was a time back in the 70's when they shut down all NYS parks to detecting. It's a state given priveledge to be allowed to detect. It was a long fight for us to get back our favorite beaches and parks. So I for one and for the reasons above will not posts finds, but the choice is yours. Do whatever you feel is right.

Bob

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
watch out for the famous -- oh ,I see youse found my wedding band -- now give it to me or esle I'll call da cops routine. --its a NY classic beach scam -- ask them the rings size , his or hers , color white or yellow gold or if it's silver and "k" or purity % and the "writing" engraved in it & make them "put it on size wize" to check for fit --even if theres no markings there just to to trip em up.,when the cops show up if they got the stones to call em. :thumbsup:

So very true lol :thumbsup:

captaindoug

May 1, 2011

plumabob said:
Hi Terry,

Lots of guys like to post their finds and that is their choice. However here in NY detecting at STATE PARKS requires a permit which states any item with a value in excess of $20.00 must be turned in to lost and found. Now we all know that not many do this or maybe are not even aware of this law, but why take a chance that someone from the state happens to stumble on your post and looks into it. I'm certain there are a lot of guys that don't even carry permits.

Not many remember, but there was a time back in the 70's when they shut down all NYS parks to detecting. It's a state given priveledge to be allowed to detect. It was a long fight for us to get back our favorite beaches and parks. So I for one and for the reasons above will not posts finds, but the choice is yours. Do whatever you feel is right.

Bob

captaindoug

May 1, 2011

Plumabob, I screwed up the quote thing, but I just wanted to say it is NOT a right granted by the state. Granted you probaly wouldnt have much luck fighting them but they wrongfully took away YOUR right when they decided to tell YOU where and when you can hunt.

plumabob

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2003

I disagree captaindoug. It's State property and they have the right as to the activities that can safely take place. How about archery at Jones Beach State Park on the 4th of July with 100,000 patrons. Just set up your targets and go for it. The people can just duck the arrows. We live in a free society but we all have to abide by the rules. We may not agree with the reasoning but it is what it is.

Bob

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

synthnut said:
Not being from the area, I have been on many NY beaches and have had folks come up to me checking me out and letting me know who's beach I was on ........ This IS a very territorial area , and many here tend to keep it this way ...... A "heads up " to what the area is like , and how things run in NYC , is not a threat ..... It's a heads up and nothing more ......Jim

On a public beach, If you have the gonads to walk up to me and say, "this is my beach," I will smile, slowly point at the NYPD on the walkway while taking out the teeth the VA gave me to replace the ones I lost as a US Army Field Artilleryman, put them in my pouch and kindly ask you to fornicate with yourself, or the farm animal of your choice.

Interesting place New York. :headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree Terry, tell them to "Kiss my lilly white a$$"....It is your choice to do what you want with your hobby, I no longer tell where I find something, but that is my choice just as it is your choice to tell what you want or don't want.... :icon_thumright:....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread