wooden handle scoop tip taken from Stavrscoop webpage.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got this from reading Ruslan's tips on his website so i figured i would give it a try on thur.

i will say it really did a great job while in the water......how long will it last......no clue, the jury is still out for me.

i am posting ....F Y I only......maybe some of you have tried or know of something better.

see u in the lane.
video is like: 2.5 mins.

Upvote 0

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip.

I like the square shaft scooper; Could you set me up on where to get one?
I have just been using a shovel and need to upgrade. It was good exercise for a while.

Goldinwater

Nov 1, 2007
Hurst,Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingwray,Cz20, Excaliber, Spectrum xlt, Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max I have been spraying mine with about 5 coats of polyurathane and it works great for a couple years.

Apr 5, 2010
I tried the Parafin wax earlier this year. It worked great, until I was was in South Florida in the summer and left it in the car. It did clean up ok with a hair dryer. If I was not going to be in real hot weather, it is nice and real easy on the hands. The big stuff breaks off after a while but leaves a thin coat. If you used it every day you may need to re-do it once every month or two.

What I tried next, which worked great but not quite as easy on the hands, is Ace Hardware Spar varnish. This is the preferred brand for people who build fly fishing rods. It leaves a glossy glass like coating and looks real slick.

OP
OP
gravediggermax-vabeachva

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shrink tubing comes in like 1-1/2 dia.

several of my buddies use it on their scoop handles.......mostly on alum. and s/s
really works good also

OP
OP
gravediggermax-vabeachva

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bumpstick - i sent you an email moments ago

see ya..................................... :icon_pirat:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Goldinwater, polyurethane. I did refinishing years ago on auto's, wood skateboards, fiberglass surfboards..I did all the custom stuff..pinstripping, airbrush and topped it all of with urethane clears, which last for years.........

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick when using paraffin wax is to boil the wood in the wax. The wood fibers expand and the wax penetrates deep inside. Doing the ends would be easy but it would take some ingenuity to figure out how to do a long handle. The first thing that comes to mind is to make a trough out of rain gutter. Just try to use a double boiler arrangement so there's less chance of making a (flaming) candle out of your handle!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is probably what the heat gun does, heat the wood and wax and lets it soak in deep. I am sure it is like any oil/waxy oil type wood finish, that it has to be cleaned and done several times a year. Teak is the wood that is usually done with this. It has natural oils in it. Hickory or oak are not good woods to use in water, even when oiled. But if taken care of and oiled/waxed every couple months, it should make it last for years. If left alone it wont. Looks like a good choice over just oiling it with teak oil/tung oil or boiled linseed oil. Or you could use the heat gun on those oil finishes too and it might work better, but with parafin a harder form of oil, it might just last a lot longer. As you might know if you use a heat gun on a varnish, polyureathane or paint, it will peel right off, so dont do that.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Do you think putting an oak handle in a piece of PVC full of polyurethane and soaking it for a couple of days would help?

Randyd

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Randyd, you probably know about pressure treated lumber and how they put it under many 100 lbs of pressure in a pressure chamber to make it soak in a ways. Well if you just soak it not under pressure it wont go in far. You could do the regular varnish thing, which is make a 50/50 mix of varnish and mineral spirits, and that is your first coat. What ever you use will only soak in so many cells deep, unless it is forced, or the cells open and let it is a little more. The thinner it is, the further it will go in, up to a point. But if it is kept up, it should be a good barrier coating.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The urethanes I used were 2 parts...Clear coat and the harder...Dupont Imron 500s, Ditzler Dau 82, both requiring a catalyst to hardner.....once mixed, life was less then 4 hours until it turned solid.

Attachments

• 102_0704.jpg
    102_0704.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 672

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread