A little luck in the negative tide today.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Got up early to hunt the negative low tide today but it was raining so I waited a bit. When it stopped I figured I would just get out and do a little digging to get some exercise. Didn't figure I would have any luck as it was 2 hours beyond low tide. Hunted about 2 hours and met a new guy who just bought an excal and will be hunting the VA beach area.

Got a gold earring, marked Italy 858, a silver heart that I had to dig out of a conglomeration and one of the best sharks teeth I've found here. Oh there were sea urchins washed up too! I kept these and gave a few away to tourists.

Attachments

• goldearring1.jpg
    goldearring1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 889
  • Octfinds.jpg
    Octfinds.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 940
  • urchins.jpg
    urchins.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 939
Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice gold and silver finds , cntrydncr1 :hello2:

I don't think I've ever seen "sea urchins"...don't even know what they are...will have to research this; they are a pretty color

Lorraine

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some of those sea urchins.... what does one do with them? Nice finds like the earring especially since it gold.

Dew

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
Got up early to hunt the negative low tide today but it was raining so I waited a bit. When it stopped I figured I would just get out and do a little digging to get some exercise. Didn't figure I would have any luck as it was 2 hours beyond low tide. Hunted about 2 hours and met a new guy who just bought an excal and will be hunting the VA beach area.

Got a gold earring, marked Italy 858, a silver heart that I had to dig out of a conglomeration and one of the best sharks teeth I've found here. Oh there were sea urchins washed up too! I kept these and gave a few away to tourists.

Way to go CD,
858 is that 22k? Yeah!!!! The Japanese love sea urchins, eat them raw and pay a big price for them!!!

SnT

OP
OP
cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
dewcon4414 said:
I saw some of those sea urchins.... what does one do with them? Nice finds like the earring especially since it gold.

Dew

I'm a shell collector so I just dry them and remove the spines and the shells are nice. 858 is 14K!

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
cntrydncr1 said:
dewcon4414 said:

Dew

I'm a shell collector so I just dry them and remove the spines and the shells are nice. 858 is 14K!
Always thought .858 was 20k?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice haul! Those coins were pretty crusty, they have been down a while. You must have been in a good area. Steve.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Platinum

999 (also known as three nines fine)
995 (what most dealer would buy your platinum at if it is 100% pure; the most common purity for platinum bullion coins and bars)
950 (the most common purity for platinum jewellery)
900 (also known as one nine fine)

Gold

999.999 (The purest gold ever produced. Refined by the Perth Mint in 1958.)[1][2]
999.99 (The purest type of gold in the market)
999 (Fineness equivalent to 24 carat, also known as three nines fine)
995 the minimum allowed in Good Delivery gold bars
990 also known as two nines fine
958.3 (equivalent to 23 carat)
916 (equivalent to 22 carat)
833 (equivalent to 20 carat)
750 (equivalent to 18 carat)
625 (equivalent to 15 carat)
585 (equivalent to 14 carat)
417 (equivalent to 10 carat)
375 (equivalent to 9 carat)
333 (equivalent to 8 carat; minimum standard for gold in Germany after 1884)

Silver

999.9 (Ultra-fine silver used by Royal Canadian Mint in the Canadian Silver Maple Leaf)
999 (Fine silver used in Good Delivery bullion bars, also known as three nines fine)
980 (common standard used in Mexico ca.1930 - 1945)
958 (equivalent to Britannia silver)
950 (equivalent to French 1st Standard)
925 (equivalent to Sterling silver)
900 (equivalent to Coin silver in the USA, also known as one nine fine)
833 (common standard used in continental silver especially among the Dutch, Swedish, and Germans)
830 (common standard used in older Scandinavian silver)
835 (a standard predominantly used in Germany after 1884)
800 (minimum standard for silver in Germany after 1884; Egyptian silver; Canadian silver circulating coinage)
750 (uncommon silver standard found in older German, Swiss and Austro-Hungarian silver)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Be sure to put those urchins away from any window openings or entryways as they will reek when the insides begin to decay. When you get them all cleaned up, they look pretty cool as a "lantern" over christmas bulbs.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take that....I haven't seen gold in my scoop in a while. :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds. I know where you hunted when you mentioned sharks teeth. lol

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have problems with transposing numbers also and always double check them. Your find , no matter the number , is very nice. Hope to see you on the 17th.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
When dried and the spines fall off or are removed, sea urchants look a lot like very fat san dollars. We often get them washing up on shore in SC during January time frame. Nice finds. I could use some yellow in my scoop. I hunted 5 hours yesterday and got a good bit of clad but no gold or silver. HH to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions