Seahunter / BHID / CZ-20

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a Garrett Sea Hunter and have used others, not a good jewelry finder at all. I havent used it in years. I had to use one earlier in the year and it was not good. I had a good PI with me, but had to use the Sea Hunter, and really didnt like it and felt it was a bad choice. I wouldnt consider it for anything. Never used a BHID or a CZ-20, but have friends who have used them. Both seem good, and both find gold jewelry. Plus they both will tell you if it is gold, or at least not iron.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CZ-20.

Truth but not listed? Minelab Excalibur...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MBbeachrat said:
I have a CZ 21 and love it. Have 8" and 10". Not as deep as my Ecal II with smaller gold but can cover a lot more area with a lot less attention.

CZ-21's are hardwired and always were. Do you mean you have two different CZ 21's? Best beach detectors are the Sov GT and Excal with the CZ-20 and 21 & CZ 6a follow ups.

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently swingin the BHID 300 and having some sucess, performs very well on the beach and finds the small gold. But I am curious about the Excal and its performance, maybe its a little deeper??? Good luck to ya with whatever you choose!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have several detectors, one of them being the Sea Hunter mark II and it is a fantastic machine. I don't have ANY problem finding jewelery and some of it very small gold and deep as well. If some say they can't find anything with a Sea Hunter...well I would question that. Mel Fisher and his company used Sea Hunters to find the Achoa and are still using Sea Hunters today and they can afford any detector on the market. So far they have located $400 million in treasure with Sea Hunters so I would say it has a good success ratio. I know it works for me and I like the 14 inch coil available for it.

I once owned a CZ 20 but it doesn't compare with my current Excalibur 1000.

Can't comment on the BHID as I have not used one.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing wrong with the BHID is in the water as the coil wants to float like a cork and it gets difficult to hold down. Not as deep as the Sov GT or Excal and PI's of course, but it does have disc.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can Slaw my Sea Hunter is an XL 200, and I used an XL 500 or Mark II I forget which and they are both not real good at finding jewelry. I will post later on which one I used this year. Too slow a pulse is my theory. Mine and the one I used were not good on stainless steel, gold jewelry, and I did an air test on a silver cob against my White's PI and the XL 500, the Garrett had todays batts, mine were well used, and it wouldnt pick up a cob until about 4 inches, my White's hit it at 12" or so. With old batteries. The reason why I did an air test is because we were recovering treasure, and they wanted me to use the Garretts because it was better than the Pulse 8. I already knew how bad the Pulse 8 were and the Garretts. They didnt think my White's would be good. I used my White's and was finding stuff the Garrett could not find. One guy even said, his detector found stuff that the Garrett didnt even sound off to. Finally I was able to use mine. Maybe the newer Garretts are better, but some of the ones I have owned and used are crap.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have heard the sand shark is a hot one also.+ Can Slaw, the Garrett I used this summer was a Mark II. Maybe I had a lemon and he had a lemon.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
superior machine in general?
Have used all and still have a SeaHunter 8 and to CZ's 8 or 10...Which is superior can only be determinded by the location ..........But my opinion..All around best CZ20/21...from this list, followed closely by the SeaHunter due to the fact that it is a PI ...........Beach Hunter, a distant third.......

There are places I will take the CZ's only, and the same goes for the SeaHunter..What works on one beach.....May not work as well on the beach down the road. Knowing this I always take my CZ20 8 inch first, I feel it will give me the best idea on what to use the next trip around..be it Xcal's 8/10/15, Infinium 10x14, a DF, SeaHunter 8, Sovereign 8..or just the CZ's themself. No One detector can be Superior on all.......

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
superior machine in general?
Have used all and still have a SeaHunter 8 and to CZ's 8 or 10...Which is superior can only be determinded by the location ..........But my opinion..All around best CZ20/21...from this list, followed closely by the SeaHunter due to the fact that it is a PI ...........Beach Hunter, a distant third.......

There are places I will take the CZ's only, and the same goes for the SeaHunter..What works on one beach.....May not work as well on the beach down the road. Knowing this I always take my CZ20 8 inch first, I feel it will give me the best idea on what to use the next trip around..be it Xcal's 8/10/15, Infinium 10x14, a DF, SeaHunter 8, Sovereign 8..or just the CZ's themself. No One detector can be Superior on all.......

This is as good as info gets. OBN is spot on the money.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would have to agree with OBN 100%. A PI, which the Sea Hunter is, is NOT the best machine for every beach. I only use mine in extremely sanded in conditions or a beach that is super clean, and there are not a lot of those. A good VLF machine, which the CZ 20 is, is the best to start off with to "test the waters. My old CZ 20 was getting very old and was loosing depth before I sold it, but it was a good machine in it's day and I put a lot of successful hours on it. Of the 3 detectors you mentioned, my first choice would be the CZ 20 for all around detecting.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Sandman said:
MBbeachrat said:
I have a CZ 21 and love it. Have 8" and 10". Not as deep as my Ecal II with smaller gold but can cover a lot more area with a lot less attention.

CZ-21's are hardwired and always were. Do you mean you have two different CZ 21's? Best beach detectors are the Sov GT and Excal with the CZ-20 and 21 & CZ 6a follow ups.

Yes I have 2 CZs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread