Franken caliber back alive! New mods

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
Was thinking of selling my Excalibur sword. But of course that's when it stopped working. Realize I enjoy working on it . Can't do this to a new one or should I say afraid to do this to a new one .So I took the opportunity to make some modifications. The problem was one side of the 15in WOT. Coil was not working.

After the battery incident I thought I would need to supervision so I had bailey keeping an eye on me.
Opened it up and there was some Burns in the circuit tape from previous soldering job,

Clean the board up. Put some circuit board tape in place and re-soldered all the connections.

While it was open I installed a bypass button on the pinpoint. So that you could switch from discrimination to pinpoint with your thumb.

Also change the headphones over to earbuds simply because I like them. They don't get knocked off in the surf and much cooler on the beach. I used H2 earbuds there completely waterproof. Most of the others are water resistant sweat resistant.

Another thing I hate to do is reinstall the circuit board into the tube. This time I tried something new. I cut a small window in the detail cut it on three sides so that it can be put back. Then I put a piece of tape on each control knobs just indicate its position. Made it easier to see if they've moved just a little.
Another trick was to take a clear plastic ruler and run it through the slots on the controls to line them up perfectly. Then I inserted the tube and by looking in the Windows could get a real feel for where everything was sitting. Worked pretty good everything seems to be working it's tough to test the wot at my house. Only 7 feet between us and all the electrical is underground. So off to the beach tomorrow and see how it performs.
For the pinpoint switch I drilled a hole in the end cap, next of the earphone wire the wire was run through their then into the handle on my shaft.

All of these modifications have been posted in much more detail before by oldbeachnut and others

Attachments

• 5xcal barod 020.jpg
    5xcal barod 020.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 1xcal barod 018.jpg
    1xcal barod 018.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 448
  • 3xcal barod 017.jpg
    3xcal barod 017.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 455
  • 5xcal barod 020.jpg
    5xcal barod 020.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 4xcal barod 019.jpg
    4xcal barod 019.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 451
  • 5xcal barod 020.jpg
    5xcal barod 020.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 6xcal barod 021.jpg
    6xcal barod 021.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 482
  • xcal barod 023.jpg
    xcal barod 023.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks real good, something Minelabs should have done years ago...

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if t stays waterproof you will be all set. Good luck.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread