First time using ATPro at the beach

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went for 2 hours today. Trying out the ATPro at the beach, I tried the surf, but I could NOT get it to calm down using automatic or manual ground balance. Even reducing the sensitivity did not work. Really alot of black sand in that surf. I'll try at other beaches, maybe it was just that one. I did not go wading with it yet, kinda scared it'll leak, though I shouldn't be.

Anything above the low tide surf was fine though and I searched the area between low tide and high tide. Found a few coins, the rusty ones really growled: especially the quarter, but even normal clad Canadian quarters have a bit of growl from the cheap steel in them. The pennies I found in the deep loose sand while searching sunbathing areas.

002A-2.jpg

I found the Samurai #4 gaming figure along the high tide line. And this red tractor buried about 8" down, nose up.

012A-1.jpg
008A-1.jpg

014A.jpg

The rest was bottlecaps, pulltabs, scrap alum, and 1 bobbie pin. Which I dug just seeing if I could guess what it was. I was usually right about 90% on my guesses.

015A.jpg

All in all a good short learning experience, I just hope that it's not totally useless in the water here. It went nuts from the surf into the water 2 feet. I did not go deeper.

GL & HH all! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you in standard or pro mode? Get a copy of this months eastern/western mag. They have a great field test for this machine. It's a great coin shooter.

OP
OP
TheGeorgiaCanuck

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s.c.shooter said:
Were you in standard or pro mode? Get a copy of this months eastern/western mag. They have a great field test for this machine. It's a great coin shooter.

Pro mode with iron audio and 40 discrim

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt, GC :hello2:

I like the game piece....interesting!

Good luck on your next hunt.

Lorraine

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Garrett home page water their video's on AT PRO this will help you alot I did.

OP
OP
TheGeorgiaCanuck

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
Go to Garrett home page water their video's on AT PRO this will help you alot I did.

Thanks Ron, I've been watching those for months now. Ever since I first decided on the ATPro.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(TheGeorgiaCanuh) did you ever get the AT Pro to quiet down in the black sand by ground balance in the wet sand and how did it work
I live down in san diego california have black sand here thinking about buying the AT Pro for knee high wading in the surf... using my
Explorer SE pro in the wet sand with great results ( no chatter) don't want to use my explorer in the surf knee deep!!

OP
OP
TheGeorgiaCanuck

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outdoors said:
(TheGeorgiaCanuh) did you ever get the AT Pro to quiet down in the black sand by ground balance in the wet sand and how did it work
I live down in san diego california have black sand here thinking about buying the AT Pro for knee high wading in the surf... using my
Explorer SE pro in the wet sand with great results ( no chatter) don't want to use my explorer in the surf knee deep!!

Not yet, I've been working on one park for awhile, I keep pulling silver coins and rings out of it. No way I'm leaving it unfinished. I'll try to swing by a beach nearby tomorrow and test it. I'm thinking I wasn't aggressive enough with the sensitivity and manual GB. We shall see. I will post here tomorrow evening with the results.

It snowed here last night and today, tomorrow is clear...but I hope the snow has melted off the grass at the park. ???

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived and detected in ohio you can detect in the snow as long as the ground is not completely frozen You have it bad when your detecting in the winter snow thank God for having the fever... I thought about the at pro and the tiger shark I went with tesoro and got the shark...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread