Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor freight has A matrix that looks like little pyramids and A little dish soap will do wonders. :hello:

Jonnie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tumble copper with only copper. Silver and clad are OK together if you don't add any vinegar and salt. I don't even roll them but take them to a super market to a the Coin Star machine.

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a small rock tumbler and I experimented with some rock polishing grit, baking soda and a little dish washing detergent....and they turned out nicely! I leave them in there for 45 minutes to an hour. Any longer, and they start to get a satin finish to the copper. The clad looks fine at an hour or a little longer. Some do end up with a purpleish sheen to them, but they still look fine. Besides....if they are "junk" clad, they are going to get rolled and taken to the bank anyways! :laughing7:

DeJa

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I have been cleaning my cooper, clad coins, nickles and tokens for years with my tumbler. I simply use aquarium rock, a little dish soap, and enough water to cover them. I always tumble cooper, and cooper or bronze tokens together, and my clad coins, nickles and aluminum tokens together. How long I tumble them is determined by how dirty and corroded they are. Usually over night.

You will be shocked how clean they come out. my coins for the most part will look just like your pocket change, and your tokens will look great. I sold a bunch of tokens a while back and the dealer asked me how I cleaned mine as he had never seen tokens that came from the ground look that good.

You will be very pleased. Rick :coffee2:

OP
OP
Kevin in IN

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the advise. I see why you don't tumble the copper with the clad. Hope their still good. ;D Used pool filter sand as a media, just cause I had some. Thanks again, Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread