Beginner & looking for recommendations on metal detectors

mamabouch

Nov 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beginner & looking for recommendations on metal detectors

Hello all,

My name is Alaina & I'm looking for some help buying a metal detector. My husband has been wanting one for awhile & it looks like he's going to get one this Christmas. We live on the east coast of Florida & he wants to go hunting on the beach & in the surf. Can you recommend a good quality detector for a beginner?

Thanks in advance & have a great day!!
Alaina :hello:

Upvote 0

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Beginner & looking for recommendations on metal detectors

I am going to state an opinion that not all will agree with. There are a number of things that a wife/girlfriend should not buy for their man without his input. I have finally got the wife and kids and grandkids to understand that what we have in mind cannot be accurately decifered by a woman, and usually not by a buddy, unless they are together in the same hobby.
A wallet
A tool
A watch
A firearm
All these items have personel factors that are known only to the man.
I cringe every time I see a lady ask a Sears tool salesman: "What can I get for my husband for Christmas?"
The proper answer is "Whatever he WANTS and you can afford."
There should be no expensive surprises here. He needs to be in on the decision.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:

kenley said:
I am going to state an opinion that not all will agree with. There are a number of things that a wife/girlfriend should not buy for their man without his input. I have finally got the wife and kids and grandkids to understand that what we have in mind cannot be accurately decifered by a woman, and usually not by a buddy, unless they are together in the same hobby.
A wallet
A tool
A watch
A firearm
All these items have personel factors that are known only to the man.
I cringe every time I see a lady ask a Sears tool salesman: "What can I get for my husband for Christmas?"
The proper answer is "Whatever he WANTS and you can afford."
There should be no expensive surprises here. He needs to be in on the decision.
EXCELLENT answer!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:

Depends a lot on price range.

I also agree that a "surprise" metal detector is not a good idea.

One detector for both wet and dry sand ...I would say a PI machine. Either White's Dual Field or Tesoro Sand Shark. But of course that's only my humble opinion.

Welcome to the world of detecting...and Happy Hunting, Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

This would be easy and cheaper if hubby only stayed in the dry sand as there are a great many detectors that are not expensive and would provide hours and many good finds. However once he goes into the wet saltwater sand or water that single freq. detector will not operate well.

For wet saltwater sand or shallow water he needs a multi frequency that starts at a cost of $600 and up. I can recommend the Tesoro Sand Shark, but this means he will need to dig everything as it has almost no discrimination to hairpins. But this is the only one that has a Lifetime Warranty. The White's Beach Hunter ID will work as will the Fisher CZ-21 and the Minelab Excal but now your talking serious money if he doesn't like it. It is best to give him a blank check and this way he can make his own choice based on your advice. Try to visit a local dealer even if you have to drive a long ways so he can handle the various detectors and ask questions of the dealer.

They cost lots of money, but one nice gold ring can pay for it. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Sand Shark.gif
    Sand Shark.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Sand Shark.gif
    Sand Shark.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,122

Agypsea

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2011
Treasure Coast,, FL

I'm from the east coast of FL. I've only been detecting for 2 months. After doing my research, I bought a Garett AT PRO and find it absolutely perfect for wet and dry sand on the beaches. Easy to use. Really pinpoints any metal. Consider the fact that if you go to a reputable dealer and tell them that you are buying for your husband-----with the understanding he can bring it back for exchange if he desires after the holiday. IMHO.

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Garrett AT Pro. It is a great dry sand machine, dirt digging machine and works very well in the water. It is waterproof but you will need to buy the waterproof headphones, they are not included in the package. It takes a while to get to learn how to use it, but there are plenty of videos on You-tube about the AT-Pro that he can learn from. The price is good, $500 range where as the other water machines are twice the price. DO NOT get him a PI for the first machine, he will become very frustrated quickly digging every fish hook and bobby pin. I own an AT Pro and a Minelab Excal, I love them both. My very first machine was a PI, that didn't last very long, it was very frustrating digging little bits of metal. The second part of buying your husband a metal detector is getting him a really good long handle scoop. The detector is worthless unless you have a good scoop to go with it.......this is not an item to skip or be cheap with. Nothing worse than zeroing in on a good target and not being able to retrieve it because your means of digging have failed!
Now, what about you? It is great exercise but you don't need to have a water machine to score some really good targets. I would suggest the Garrett Ace 350 for yourself.....$300 range and its a really tiger on finding treasure in the dry sand. Plus you don't really need an expensive scoop for yourself if you are going to hunt just the dry sand.

OP
OP
M

mamabouch

Nov 11, 2011
Primary Interest:

Thank you so very much for all your responses, they've been a huge help. We have heard Garrett from a few different people on the beach that we've seen with them while we were biking down the beach. I've taken your advice kenley & Agypsea and let him in on this Christmas present & we're taking a road trip down to a dealer, Kellyco, for some recommendations. Thanks again and have a great evening.
Alaina :icon_sunny:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
recommendations on metal detectors........No PI's for a Rookie

Don't let Kelly Co sell you on there Viper , Trident detector deals...China Junk....The Wise thing to do would be go down and look, ask..write down what they offer/suggest...and come back to us before you BUY, Lots of Experience here and we're not after your hard earned cash................... :thumbsup:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Although ive bought some equipment from Kelleyco when it comes to detectors i call around on line for the best deal..... yes there are good deals out there on NEW detectors. I agree with OBN there is a lot of experience on here and some live near you im sure..... what works in one part of the country might not be the best choice in your neck of the woods. I dont know your husbands patience so a PI might be a little frustrating.... and Xcal is simple to use and will pay for its self... but its pricey. If its a casual beach trip.... the AT will work and its somewhat water proof..... but in the DRY sand most will especially if you arent getting in the water.

Dew

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you can tell us your budget for a detector, and if he wants to dig everything and get more depth, or not dig iron but lose a little depth, we could narrow it down a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread