Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! I've been learning the Exp ll on the beach. Does anyone have advice for the settings. I have been researching too much, I think. Is it better to run high sensitivity and low gain in IM -16? or the other way around to keep it deep and to find gold? Some say not to run it too hot. Any advice would be great! Thank you!

Upvote 0

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the Explorer SE Pro and run it in AM and X'ed out nails only in Smart screen.. I also only run the coiltek coils on the beach [platypus] and [Wot].. They are heavy[''Explorer period''] but in My opinion.. are worth their weight in gold :icon_thumright:. as for sensitivity[ as high as you can run without the chirping].

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run the SE as well. It depends on how trashy your beach is on the Gain. The gain modulates tones.... so if you are wanting to hear deep targets without looking at the screen then a lower gain. But if you are in trash you need those weak signals to be heard so a higher gain is needed or the tones get lost in all the higher ones.... just like in a trashy park. Sensitivity.... some people max it out i dont just because your coil foot print becomes larger and you tend to pick up targets close to the coil that throws off the averaging..... but you do get smaller targets. There is a point of overpowering as well. Keep the coil ON THE SAND. I say that because air testing proves you arent going to get a lot of depth on small gold targets. Ill take a little falsing to pick up those tiny gold earrings and studs any day.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread