Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some awesome old finds on the beaches of South Florida recently but none more exciting than this 1836 gold half eagle, classic head type 1834-38. What started out as just another Sunday evening beach hunt turned into an unexpected beach relic hunting adventure covering several more evenings over a three week period. I spend countless hours researching and metal detecting at what I refer to as ugly beaches, places that do not get searched as much as the well known over hunted sites. I hoped that one day this beach hunting strategy would pay off and I would find a site that had never been searched for a long time. That is exactly the situation I found myself in as some terrific sand movement on a less glamorous area of a popular South Florida tourist beach had put relics left over from the Seminole indian wars within my metal detector search coil range. I began finding musket balls and military uniform buttons along with other interesting finds from the 1830s as I gridded the beach every evening until I finally found the ultimate beach hunters dream find, a gold coin. I will never forget the thrill of seeing the gold coin laying on top of the sand and picking it up knowing that I was the first person to hold that gold coin since the 1830s, an awesome end to an awesome beach relic hunt.

Happy Hunting
Gary T. Drayton

Attachments

• Gold coin front.jpg
    Gold coin front.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 9,320
  • Gold coin reverse.jpg
    Gold coin reverse.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 9,243
Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fantastic! Truly a fantastic find! WOW!!!!!

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with the banner.Post any gold coin find is deserving of banner.
Nice find Gary!
Steve
JSBSH

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Gary, that is an outstanding find !!!! No doubt you did the dance !!!! Congratulations and Banner !!!!

Pete

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
Congratulations great score!! Time to stop for a manicure.
Your fingers are getting exposure lately.

Banner

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Gold, ........... she looks like a (MS-65) Mint...other then the scratch it's almost perfect, Amazing your finds with all the competition, Like I have always said, some are Gifted..and I knew of only three..now looks like possibly four......Congrads.....

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a sweet find. One of a life time of hunting.....Matt

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Gary,Please send me a map with an "X" to mark the spot. :wink:
Sorry Gary,couldn't resist saying that Some great finds and obviously
you do your research.Keep it up.Helps revitalize some of us to see
those terrific finds.HH Joe

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
I too am amazed ... at your determination and planning.... pulling out weary items from the war then the BONUS! I'm into researching beach history ... and a little idea for all, ... family originals (photos) of an area are worth big bucks ... even if you don't sell them (they are an asset), richies who live there now love to have an absolute original depiction of the beach in 1912 etc - I compare all oldphotos against google earth images and hunt accordingly ... how bout that condition - FILTH, BANNER (if not for anything but the rarity of a gold coin on the beach) - :notworthy:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeaninNH said:
This is not on the banner why? ???

Should have been up on the Banner days ago!! Not many gold coins are found In the U.S.A.! Maybe because of the government recall of gold back in the day!! All gold coins should be put on the Banner! Period!! Excellent Find!! :icon_pirat:

SnT

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin, doesn't look like it's ever been in the sand!

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:

Neither did this Spanish 1715 fleet emerald treasure ring I was lucky enough to find on a beach along the Treasure Coast of Florida in 2005 until I scooped it up. When gold is covered under 5 or 6 feet of sand on the beach for a very long time it comes up looking like the day it was lost, I can vouch for that, twice!
HH Gary

Attachments

• Spanish ring.jpg
    Spanish ring.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 7,603

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Gary Drayton said:
Jason in Enid said:

When gold is covered under 5 or 6 feet of sand on the beach for a very long time it comes up looking like the day it was lost, I can vouch for that,

Gary, these words are so true! It never ceases to amaze me how gold and silver come out of the sand ocean beaches! After a good ole northeaster in 2009 I was digging silver coins that looked like they came from the mint? 20ft away I was finding silver that looked like they were in a fire? They nicer stuff I was convinced came out of what use to be a 20ft dune! Gold goes from the pouch to her finger!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread