Sebastian Inlet Question

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What that meant is basicly that a small portion was used to fill in the beaches, and the rest, probably 99% , was trucked in. It was mostly if not all put on the beach South of the Jetty at Sebastian Inlet, from the Jetty, and South. It has lots of ground granite, aluminum cans chewed up, and nasty rough sand.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Thanks Mad4wrecks and SteveMC.

I have read where even way back in 1938 the Inlet had to be regularly re-opened. Tons? of debris was re-deposited elsewhere. So for at least 80 years on and off dredge debris has been used for beach re-nourishment and I assume landfill. I wonder how far out into the ocean along the shoreline the debris actually dumped? Is it just right along the dunes? or does it go out to the low tide line? Also how far south or or north? Was it dumped just in the vicinity of the inlet..maybe a few hundred yards(two football fields)?
And lastly, I've read where in early years..the inlet actually eroded south of the jetty so they had to lengthen?
the southern jetty? So from a topographically view..airplane? is the southern beach line actually inward further from the northern beach line?

Again, thanks a Queens Dowry for your help.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can tell you this, during one of the beach renourishment projects south of Sebastian Inlet 5 or so years ago, they completely buried the first reef under several feet of sand.

This is a natural reef that was exposed at every low tide. There is still an incredible number of artifacts and treasure in that reef. Our government completely buried it. The hypocrisy is mind boggling. >:(

In the same area, there is a 6-8 foot rockpile at the base of the McLarty museum on the beachside, to protect the structure from erosion. When they were done dumping all that crappy sand on the beach, only about 2 feet of that rockpile was showing.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

You're the bomb Mad4wrecks.

The good news is the Atlantic takes out most of the sand through time.

I've told my wife for years...the hurricanes acted like giant brooms and through time and the liquefaction of the sands the treasure is right under the beach.

:icon_thumleft:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is the only inlet for many miles in either direction, maybe 20 to the South at Ft Pierce, and 25 or 30 to the North at Cape Canaveral. So the tide really pours out through there when it goes out. I am sure it could have eroded around the jetty if it wasnt well built. The North jetty is like a heavy duty pier now, with a jetty under it. It used to be just a jetty when I was young, and way shorter. The south jetty is not as long and is still just a jetty. They have the sides all beefed up now so it cant erode away. I am sure they used some dredged sand to build the bridge bases, parking areas, campground, who knows. I think they built that bridge that is there now in the mid 60s. I think it used to be a shorter wooden draw bridge. Maybe it was concrete, I dont remember.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread