hunting pismo beach in off season

Aug 27, 2011
C/S CO
Detector(s) used
bh lonestar
Well here we are in November. Ive traveled to the central coast to visit family on Vandenburg AFB. Was thinking about swingin my coil over pismo beach sometime early next week. Its a BH Lonestar so ill be in the dry/edge of wet sand( comments noted Sandman) any one have luck in the offseason? I guess ill be going after what all of yall missed last summer. Im thinking if i hug the dunes and go where others have only dared i should get something shiny for my efforts. Any thoughts on this? Best off season finds?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Actually, when you refer to "off-season" I have to chuckle. An aweful lot of CA beach hunters specifically go in what you're referring to as the "off season", because that can actually be the best time to go! If you're going during the summer, then you're just getting random modern recent losses. But if you go during the winter erosion times, mother nature does all the work for you, compiling years or decades of targets in to nice neat lines for you to harvest.

A lot of the hardcore veterans here don't even hunt in the summer at all (unless there's some sort of summer southern hemi swells spinning all the way up to this part of CA). I mean, yeah, if dry sand hunting is your bag, then sure, summer hunting. But if you've ever been "in the zone" of awesome erosion style hunting, you'll never return to dry sand or random-wet-wandering again!

Just gotta research the buoy reports and tide charts. Trouble is, even vast portions of a lot of winters can be lame, since weeks or months, even in winter, can remain below high-surf-advisory levels.

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Pismo beach about 6 weeks ago, nice beach. I only had a couple of hours but did find a 42g silver bracelet about 20 yds south of the public pier in the wet sand. Good Luck!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just do it! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions